Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have to run a 12V motor in both directions. I have build a prototype schematic below. The transistor used is the BD911 (PNP) and BD912 (NPN) with a max current through collector-emitter of 15A. I have some questions to the circuit

1. Do I need an ULN2003 with 12V to turn the PNP transistor ON/OFF, or can it be done in other (cheaper) ways from the PIC?

2. To get 5-6A through the bridge, do I then have to change the 1k resistor to a smaller, because of the transistors amplification on min. 25gg?

3. How do I calculate the total amount of current avaible to the motor concidering both hfe, base current,,...?

Thanks

Attachments

• H-bridge.JPG
    H-bridge.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,292
Last edited:
The BD911 and BD912 transistors are like most power transistor and need a very high base current to saturate with a high current load. For a load of 10A, the datasheet shows a max saturation voltage of 3V with a huge base current of 2.5A. Your 1k resistor will provide a base current of only 4.3mA, 580 times too small.

With less load current of 5A then the max saturation voltage is 1V with a base current of 500mA. The ULN2003 has a max output current of 500mA.
The ULN2003 needs a 12V supply to drive the PNP transistor through a current-limiting resistor and another resistor is needed to turn off the PNP.
Use additional darlington transistors to turn on the NPN power transistors.

You still need an H-bridge circuit that should include all this driving circuitry.

Perhaps you aught to consider MOSFETs because they don't waste huge amounts of power when they're turned on.

At 12 volts a MOSFET will work well. At higher voltages an IGBT might be a better sollution, it's basically a bipolar transistor with an integrated mosfet driver.

I found this datasheet for the IRG4BC30K. It says that it has a Emitter-to-Collector Breakdown Voltage of 18V. So I can't use it for 20V motors?

Attachments

• IRG4BC30KPBF.pdf
    138 KB · Views: 163
Its normal max supply voltage is 600V. When its supply voltage is backwards then its max is 18V. It is very expensive and has a fairly low current rating. Don't use a transistor backwards then this one isn't needed.

Instead, use a less expensive Mosfet that has a very high current rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back