Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H bridge with power mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo_striver

i am making a circuit with power mosfets
IRFZ48N
but getting a problem that when i start the motor..
the mosfet connected to Vdd gets hot even at .4A..
but the mosfet whose Vss is connected to ground is very cold..
so what is problem..even when i uses the same basising for both
power mosfets..

I have tried ur solution ..great. :shock:
the circuit is performing on very cold state even at 2A
so can any body suggest how to on mosfet in a h-bridge of a robot with a higher voltage than the supply voltage..

simple
MAKE A PROPPER GATE DRIVE!!!!

I have said this time and time again abt the Power-electronic cct that are flying around this forum. They all have common problems and that is complete lack of gate-drive to the power-switch!

This isn't low-power infomation that is getting delt with here THIS is POWER, be it only a few watts its a damb sight more then the uW contained within a LOGIC on/off or analogue signal

To switch a FET in anger (ie with real current through it) take energy/power to do that job and THAT requires a decent GATE-drive. IT can be as simple as a BJT push-pull. IT NEEDS TO BE PUSH-PULL!!! not like what is in this cct

**broken link removed**

The gate-drive ( or the incompetance of) in this cct is its main problem! a 10k is used to turn-OFF the N-types as well as a 10k to turn-ON the P-types. That is HUGH!!!! you need a push-pull (with gate resistor of a few 100R) to enable the charge to be pushed into and pulled out of the FET correctly

Anyway enough of the RANT

What is needed: a floating gate-drive
required:

1x OPTO (6n137 are good)
1x isolated DC:DC converter, NVU/C&D do fantastic very small DC:DC converters at around 1W, they have 5Vin to +/-12V out, 12Vin 5Vout lots-o combinations

1x PNP BJT
1x NPN BJT
and the odd few resistors and capacitors.

So for the top two FETS you now have a floating gate-drive which you connect the isolated 0V to the FET-source and the output of the PUSH-PULL to the GATE, isolates/floating power via the DC:DC, isolated/floating signal via the opto

All in all kids, think of the gate-drive.

i am a novice of electronics so could not understand what u wanted to say..
please give ur answer in more detail...
thanx

rafhan said:
i am a novice of electronics so could not understand what u wanted to say..
please give ur answer in more detail...
thanx

His response has enough detail. The main idea is to make a better gate drive for your power transistors in the bridge. Styx suggests a floating drive which is fine, but it might not be necessary. Some H-Bridge configurations use P-Channel high side parts so floating or bootstrapped gate drives might not be necessary.

However, the gate drive should be driven by a low impedance push-pull stage. There are very large capacitances that need charged & discharges on the power devices if you are going to get them to switch fast. The only way to do that is with a low impedance gate drive. Transient gate currents of AMPS is not unusual for fast switching.

will using the p-channel power mosfets will solve the problem..
or it will also require some extra circuitry like push pulls or ..
Actually i am working this for a robot and wanted to simplify the circuit ..
just guide me in this respect..

I have modified the circuit a bit hoping for some improvement. The both "1" state is still "not allowed" but if any control signal is already "1", the going high of another would have no effect until the corresponding channel control signal returns to LOW. This would help a little bit.

Styx?

Attachments

• nch-brdgx.gif
    nch-brdgx.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 2,813
Still got SHITE gate-drive (will cause a soft shoot-through)
and that LED still exist which will fail the moment the potential switches

Proper gate drive is only needed if the OP wants to use PWM for speed control. For just forward/reverse action, the design is sufficient in a hobby sense.

There will alway be a big difference between driving MOSFETs in industrial situation and in hobby circuit.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Styx said:
and that LED still exist which will fail the moment the potential switches

It's a tri-colour, so is two LED's back to back.

Thats answers that, correct symbol would be handy tho

eblc1388 said:
Proper gate drive is only needed if the OP wants to use PWM for speed control. For just forward/reverse action, the design is sufficient in a hobby sense.

There will alway be a big difference between driving MOSFETs in industrial situation and in hobby circuit.

For just fwd/rev fixed speed (based on link potential) yes it is fine BUT if it is to be PWM'ed (and that doesn't have to be industrial, there are plenty of places where hobby PWM is used) this cct will FAIL

The IRFZ48n is not a logic level mosfet, so if you are driving from logic, it won't turn on reliably. The transistors I chose are logic level. The NPN driver is designed not to saturate, to avoid that delay. Even so, efficiency will be improved if you provide some small delay between turn on and turn off of A and B drives.

Attachments

• h-bridge_163.png
    h-bridge_163.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,047
Styx said:
For just fwd/rev fixed speed (based on link potential) yes it is fine BUT if it is to be PWM'ed (and that doesn't have to be industrial, there are plenty of places where hobby PWM is used) this cct will FAIL

You are of course 100% correct regarding proper gate drive under PWM condition. In fact I have also advised others to do the same with proper gate drive.

My modification to the circuit is just done as an exercise to make it safer without adding extra cost(except four diodes). The original circuit is fundamentally faulted and bad design as you had already pointed out in another post.

NEW problem

RUSSLK circuit is very simple and efficient circuit ... as i think.. but the problem is with the parts.. as i live in pakistan so i cannot get those transistors from local market..
would u tell me that if i use the mosfet IRF4905 with IRFZ48N and make a bridge circuit like RUSSLK's and us the power BJT TIP122 to switch on the PMOS power mosfets on the upper side ..
will it solve the problem or the dc to dc converter with IRFZ48N at the upper side is the answer..or some other solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back