Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-bridge Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad-al3omar

dear all;
i have power transistors (tip122 -npn- ) and (tip126 -pnp-) in order to make a high rating H-Bridge i tried to use the four npn transistors in one design and to use two npn and two pnp in another one but there allot of problems , the motor rotates in a very low speed and on of transistor burned how can i come over these problems without using a single H-Bridge chip .
thank you

ahmad-al3omar said:
dear all;
i have power transistors (tip122 -npn- ) and (tip126 -pnp-) in order to make a high rating H-Bridge i tried to use the four npn transistors in one design and to use two npn and two pnp in another one but there allot of problems , the motor rotates in a very low speed and on of transistor burned how can i come over these problems without using a single H-Bridge chip .
thank you

hi,
Post the design for 2*npn and 2*pnp version so that we can check the circuit.

my design

ericgibbs said:
hi,
Post the design for 2*npn and 2*pnp version so that we can check the circuit.
DESIGN.jpg

this is the siple circuit

ahmad-al3omar said:
View attachment 19002

this is the siple circuit

hi,
The diagram shows -12V as the supply to the bridge, is that correct.? EDITED:

Also, what are the signal levels at 'A and B'.?

EDIT: If I magnify the drawing I can just see the +12V, in normal viewing it looks like a minus sign.!

Last edited:
Your transistors would probably benefit by adding a schottky diode to their outputs. While it won't help any speed issues you may be having, it will more than likely extend their life.

ericgibbs said:
hi,
The diagram shows -12V as the supply to the bridge, is that correct.? EDITED:

Also, what are the signal levels at 'A and B'.?

EDIT: If I magnify the drawing I can just see the +12V, in normal viewing it looks like a minus sign.!
the signal 5v with 20mA current and the motors operates at +12 volts and 1A current

ahmad-al3omar said:
the signal 5v with 20mA current and the motors operates at +12 volts and 1A current

hi,
When 'A' is high [+5v] the motor will only have about 3 or 4V across it.

Added protection diodes to the circuit.

EDIT: updated drawing showing some approximate voltages.

Last edited:
You show each leg as a class B output stage, like in an amplifier. Classic H bridge designs have the pnp on the highside, and npn on the lowside. I would actually trash this whole design and go with mosfets. Use a p channel on the highside and n channel on the low side to avoid using a charge pump. You did not mention the amount of current needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back