Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-bridge: BJT vs relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

Hi,
I need some comment for these circuit, their pros and cons.
Which one is better? which one drives faster and etc.. thanks

Attachments

• h_bridge.jpg
    h_bridge.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 683
  • DC motor.gif
    DC motor.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 630
Basically transistors allow you to add PWM speed control, relays don't. If you don't want speed control?, go with the relays - it's far simpler!.

You can also do a hybrid version, a single transistor for PWM speed control, and a single DPDT relay for forward/reverse.

Oic.. i think the relay is more suitable for me. Is the speed controlled by 555 timer? How does it work?

Nigel Goodwin said:
With the relay example you gave above, there is NO speed control, only directional control.
Yes, i know.. Then how to control speed if the bjt is used?

bananasiong said:
Yes, i know.. Then how to control speed if the bjt is used?

By using PWM on the inputs to the H-bridge, usually generated directly by the driving micro-controller - good reason for using a 16F876/7 as it has two hardware PWM channels.

The relay cannot be used to control the speed just because it switches not fast enough?

how if, the motor is drive too fast, i want to slow it down, by using a 555, the output of the 555 is connected to the Vcc of the H-bridge. Can this work?

Thanks

Yes, but NOT fed from a 555, you would need a high power transistor or FET to drive Vcc - and it's then fairly pointless using so many relays, a single DPDT one would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back