Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guitar Pre-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

apakhira

Hi
I decided on making a guitar pre-amp, with an EQ (equalizer) so i could play my guitar with a normal amp, as well as use it as a DI (Direct Input) box for my PC. I have also decided to integrate a distortion effect into the thing, and since i have the distortion and pre-amp in a single unit, i want 2 wire the thing for a clean channel, a distorton channel, and a distortion + gain boost (with the pre-amp) channel.
Now my questions are,
Where in the chain should i put the EQ?
How will each position of the EQ in the chain affect the sound?
And, for the Distortion+Gain boost, should i put the pre-amp before the distortion or after the distortion to have less problems (like oscillation, etc)?
And a final dumb question: do i have to change component values in the EQ
(op-amp-based), if my supply voltage is going to be less than that in the schematic?

Thanks

EDIT: Converted to full English

Last edited:
Mostly it's personal preference, but for a start I would suggest typing your questions in English?, your stupid 'text speak' will only result in your questions being ignored!.

apakhira said:
So now is it better?

Yes, if you expect adult replies you should ask in an adult fashion, I've no problem with 'text speak' on a phone, you only have a very crude keypad to type on, but it's of no use whatsoever on a full ASCII keyboard!.

As suggested, you shouldn't need to change values for a supply change, opamps are VERY good for that - if it was built using discrete transistors you almost certainly would!.

As for the position of the EQ and distortion modules, their position will make subtle changes to the sound - I would suggest wiring them as seperate modules, and you can then try connecting them different ways to see which you prefer - you could even have then switchable?.

Don't forget, for a passive guitar you need a high input impedance, 470kohm and above is usual.

This is actually a full pre-amp that does what you need it to, at the top of this project page:

**broken link removed**

If you still want to design your own, that is a good circuit to modify and use parts of.

You set the impedance of the op-amp using a suitable resistor. In a non-inverting design, you could have just the inpedance of the op-amp, but it is likely this impedance will be too high and it will have problems with noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back