Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guitar Distortion Pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would the op amp need to do, in order to be "better"? Less distortion?

You're building a "distortion pedal", correct?

I don't know how far you've progressed with your "Distortion project,anyway,here are a couple of distortion circuits you may be be interested in.I think it would be better for you start with a simpler circuit to gain experience & not in the least more confidence!

I would start building these on a- "Breadboard"- these small plastic experiment/prototype boards.These are easily obtainable from any electronic shop or on the net. I still start all my new projects this way to make sure it works at all or not & to further improve on it.

These two circuits are fairly easy to build & test.Do not hesitate to ask if you need any help,as I am sure there are many in this forum who i am sure will readily give you very useful advice.

Good luck!

Attachments

• fuzz001.gif
    fuzz001.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 870
  • fuzz002.gif
    fuzz002.gif
    4 KB · Views: 1,217
Couldn't agree more with audioguru! I've used TL072 (dual version) & NE5532 (dual version) extensively in all my projects! These two chips are the best in terms of their price & performance!! However while TL071/02 are JFET devices & can run as far down as 5v, the NE5532/5534 are not & are fussy,yet work well only down to 8-9 v.

Choice of these also depend on where & what purpose these will be used for.

TL071/02
Very high input impedance
Very low current consumption
Adequately low noise level
Good slew rate
Adequate gain/band
Very good for guitar effects & high impedance buffer circuits

NE5532
Not suitable for very high impedance use like guitar effects (input impedance about 20.000K)
Excellent noise figure
Fairly high current..
Very good SLEW rate

...The most popular op-amp IC chip for musical instrument effects /stomp boxes is & has been the JRC4558 dual op-amp! This is the chip which was & is exclusively used in all the Ibanez TS XXX series as well as most of the overdrive/sustain & Fuzz boxes made in the 70s to the 90s! For some reason many find this very musical sounding hence it's popularity even today.However,these are very hard to come by these days,especially the original old stock made by the JAPAN RADIO CORPORATION (JRC).There are numerous generic? makes like MC4558? & others,but I really don't know how good these are!!

TL072 employs JFET devices (transistors) in it's inputs. & therefore claimed to almost emulate the much sort after "Valve sound" when over driven. LF351/LF353 (mono)/dual) are closest ops i know of as replacement for TL071/72.

Last edited:
I think Motorola invented the MC4558 and Japan Radio Corp copied it.

The older FET input opamps have the problem called "Phase Inversion" when the input voltage is too negative (because the input was over-driven). The output suddenly becomes high and it sounds awful.

Attachments

• opamp phase inversion.PNG
    opamp phase inversion.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 392
Thank you for pointing this out! I in fact tried frantically to find some source that would state otherwise, but to no avail! he..he. I think you could be right about the origin,but what a paradox,in that the clone turning out more popular than it's master! As I've stated earlier,the TL071/72 are quite good, both performance & price wise. The TL072 is the chip I use mostly except for NE5532 which too is excellent for audio work,especially on the driver/output stages.

Mr.Douglas Self has published an extensive test report on most of the analog op amps..& some of his results are quite revealing to say the least!
www.dself.dsl.pipex.com

Here are 2 links on the Ibanez tube screamers & on JRC 4558 you & many others may find interesting.

www.analogman/tshist.htm
https://www.tdpri.com

Last edited:
Mr. Douglas Self has removed his good reports from the internet because he is writing a book and wants to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back