Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guitar Amp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooz

Hello, i have a small fender amp. I plugged a cabinet into it but plugged the cord into the headphone jack, mic jack etc. now the guitar makes a humming noise the guitar wont play anymore. i took apart and could smell burnt electronics ( you know the smell!) also i think a small capacitor is melted on the one side, can anyone help????
wooz:mad:

Doesn't sound good. Could you post a picture of the capacitor you think is fried? And the rest of the amp would be nice too.

Hello, i have a small fender amp. I plugged a cabinet into it but plugged the cord into the headphone jack, mic jack etc. now the guitar makes a humming noise the guitar wont play anymore. i took apart and could smell burnt electronics ( you know the smell!) also i think a small capacitor is melted on the one side, can anyone help????
wooz:mad:

You plugged the guitar cord into the cabinet output?

What did you take apart--the guitar, the amp, or the cabinet?

You will get more help if you write your posts clearly, indicating exactly what you did and what parts you found fried inside which devices. From what you wrote it appears that you probably plugged your guitar into the amplifier output, and that you took the guitar apart and found a burned cap in it, but that's just a guess.

I'm not trying to be hard on you--I'm trying to get more information so we have a hope of helping you. Please make as much of an effort in asking a good question as you hope that we will make in trying to answer it.

Good luck (and post more information!)

Torben

Doesn't sound good. Could you post a picture of the capacitor you think is fried? And the rest of the amp would be nice too.
What makes you suspect a capacitor right off the bat? From what the original poster gives us I can't even tell if he plugged the guitar into every available jack on the amp, or if he connected the speaker cabinet incorrectly. If the speaker cabinet was connected to amplifier inputs, the amp wouldn't be affected unless it's looking for a load on the output and fried itself as a result? Most Fender amps are pretty tough. If he plugged in the guitar to the amp's output then he likely burnt the pickup coils and or the volume/tone pots. We need better details here people in order to provide a substantial solution.

i also have a problem

I have a Peavey Minx 110 bass amp and i got it yesterday (10/28/09) and i first used it that night and it worked great, then i went to turn it on today and now it sounds like its fried. i had a small Fender amp that did the same thing about a month ago. i am severely pissed off and would like to know whats causing this. it was off all day and the moment i turned it on i noticed it even tho it worked great last night. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have yet to destroy even my el-cheapo Univox guitar amp (solid state) let alone any of my vacuum tube amps! My Ampeg, McIntosh, Fender, and Altec amps have performed faithfully and with no upkeep done to them.

Well anyway, here are some links that might help you. You can surf through them to see if your amp is listed. I bet Nigel may have one or two of these already bookmarked!

Schematic Diagram - Free Schematics Download
Index of /new/schem/misc_amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back