Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guess what is inside a 6V lantern battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get to see the video, but sounds like the one from a week or two ago. From the video before, seemed kind of doubtful. The guy just popped the top off and dumped out 32 AA batteries, and nothing else. The AAs were naked metal, nothing came out to seperate them. Nothing was welded, and no jumpers. Would be curious how you could pack 32 AAs in a metal case, with no insulating material and no jumpers, and get 6 volts.

32 AA battery cells (they look like AAA cells in the video) just "poured" out of the lantern battery when its top was popped off. Unreal.

Yea that one was fake. But I wouldn't doubt they would use some C's in a lantern battery. Cheaper than making a new product.

That's a bogus video. Long ago, I pried open a lantern battery and it had approx. D sized cells in it.

That is so annoying. Why even go through the effort to make a fake video?

Hi Krumlink (Crummy Link?),
I peeked at your website and noticed the wrong value capacitor in the parts list of The Joule Thief project.
Actially, the real Joule Thief circuit uses a proper small ferrite core, not a rusty nail.

I opened up one of those 6V batteries about 15 years ago and they have four double length D cells in.

Correct !

Depending upon the Ah capacity 4 D's or double sized D cells are in those 6 volt batteries.

As recall the cells that are the diameter of D cell and about twice as long are size F cells.
I remember some of the older multiple cell batterys, like the ones that were zinc carbon. The cells were stacked and then coated with wax. Think about how many cells were in 67 1/2 volt and 90 volt batteries.

kittydog42 said:
9 volt batteries are comprised of 6 AAA batteries, so that is not surprising.
No.
9V carbon-zinc and alkaline batteries have six special squashed little cells.
Some 9V Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries have six AAAA cells. Some have seven special little cells.

The capacity of an AAA Ni-MH cell is 900mAh.
The capacity of a skinny little Ni-MH AAAA cell is only 175mAh.
A huge difference.

kittydog42 said:
9 volt batteries are comprised of 6 AAA batteries, so that is not surprising.
^^^^^ what AG says about the squashed cells is true of a 9v battery ^^^^^
Doesn't anyone ever tear anything apart for exploratory purposes to get to the truth of the matter? Doctors do it everyday in operating rooms. Then the patients seem to die soon afterwards.:eek: ;)

When I was a kid I had a 6-transistors AM radio.
My friend got a better one that said on its cover14-transistors.
We looked inside and saw 7 transistors all connected together but not connected to the radio circuit. Two pins on an 8th transistor were used as the diode detector.
Rip-off!

Look at the spec's for Energizer's Ni-MH AA cells and their C and D cells. The spec's are exactly the same. Do they put a little AA cell inside a huge D cell?
The D cell costs much more.
Rip-off!

Look at the specs for Energizer's ordinary Alkaline cells and their Titanium premium more expensive cells. The spec's are exactly the same.
Rip-off!

I usually pop the tops off 9 volt batteries, to solder on PCBs or add wires for battery clips... I'm not really that cheap or anything. Some of the battery connectors you buy are a little on the cheap side, the wires come off.

Before I really paid any attention to the 7805's V input, I would take off the plastic part covering the solder connections of a 9V connector and would Solder a 7805 to it, to get 5v. Then I would hot glue it up.

Krumlink said:
Before I really paid any attention to the 7805's V input, I would take off the plastic part covering the solder connections of a 9V connector and would Solder a 7805 to it, to get 5v. Then I would hot glue it up.
The minimum input voltage of a 7805 is about 7.5V.
A 9V carbon-zinc or alkaline battery quickly drops to 7.2V then the 7805 doesn't regulate anymore. Then the battery voltage drops slower down to 6V when it is considered to be dead. The output voltage of the 7805 will drop and drop and drop and drop and drop .............
A regulator that doesn't regulate.

A Ni-MH "9V" battery is actually 7.2V. Its voltage drops slowly to 6V.

A "low-dropout" regulator has a minimum input voltage of 5.4V. Its output is always regulated at 5V.

That was when I was first starting electronics (3-4 years ago). Now I know all about that stuff. Dont forget that LDO's sometimes use around 20-30 ma themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back