Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM module inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys,

I'd like to log data from a jogger using an array of sensors, and I'm thinking of using these as a pair:

1. Transmitter: link.

2. Receiver: **broken link removed**

Both of the modules are not produced by the same company, so I suppose there are ready made ones which are readily paired which escaped my attention.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Vizier87

GSM means Global System for Mobile communications, or cell phone. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM)

The first device is a GSM module that could be used to send or receive data via the mobile network, and is intended for prototyping.

The second device is a GSM module that has a USB interface, and is intended to plug into a computer to provide internet connection via the mobile network.

All GSM devices are transmitters and receivers, but they transmit and receive to the GSM infrastructure which is the mobile network that you have to pay for in the service provided on a SIM card.

You can use GSM devices to send data to other GSM devices via the mobile network, or you can use a GSM device to send data to the internet, also via the mobile network.

If you want a single point-to-point radio link, look at 433 MHz transmitters and receivers.

Collecting mobile data via GSM works fine, if that is what you want to do. Point-to-point radio frequency links work fine as well.

Hi Diver300, thanks for the input.

It turns out that I'll buy two of the first ones since it can both be proto-ed and connected via USB as well. The thing is 433 Mhz modules usually work in short ranges, am I right? I'm perhaps looking into logging the data from the jogger ranging in hundreds of kilometers from where I work.

Or if I missed something, please suggest a long-ranging 433 MHz transceiver module for my application?

Thanks a lot bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back