Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM and Max232

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrYu

can the GSM(Sim900D) module directly connect with Max232?
i want to see if it is working and can communicate in hyperterminal. tnx

Your better off using the low voltage version like the MAX3222.

up...

how's the connection between max232, rs232 to t290i or GSM to(sim900D) to see if it's working in hyperterminal. tnx

i have a different sim900D

View attachment 66712

and i use this one before usb-ttl converter to connect with the module but it's not working now
i can't tell if the module or the usb-ttl is broken.
that's why i will use max232 to check which one of my GSM(sim900 or t290i) is working

View attachment 66713

Last edited:
You can loop back (Tx to Rx, if no handshaking) the TTL side of the (USB to TTL converter) and use a terminal emulator program to test.

After reading the datasheet, this has all of the issues with RS232 with full handshaking and a slightly different behavior for RI (Ring Indicator).

Pay particular attention to Table 11, PDF page 36. Note that the Maximum V is 3 V.

Last edited:
i connect the tx and rx of USB-TTL and check it in the hyperterminal.

i don't get it in circuit how to do this 3v to 10k resistor?

Last edited:
Here is a description about pull-ups: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/218

Floating or unconnected CMOS logic pins can cause oscillations. Those oscillations can cause the chip to overheat. Because leakage currents are involved and ground and +V are low impedance it causes a large current to flow. Think in terms of the limit as R approaches zero of I=V/R. You need a resistor to absorb the voltage generated from a tiny current. So look at I= 0.001 V/0.01 Ohms. It's a big number. i= 0.001 V/10,000 is a small number.

Can you post the link to your USB to TTL converter? Is it 5V or 3.3 V? I need to some more research here. But do check the maximum output of your USB to serial converter at the serial pins at idle.

The power supply HAS to be a battery from 3.4 to 4.5 V and it expects 2A bursts from the battery.

I actually read the datasheet as it does not support 3.3 V for the maximum input to the serial inputs. TTL inputs are usually INVERTING but that usually comes out in the wash.

A 3.3 to 3V LEVEL SHIFTER MAY be required. Not sure at this point.

Last edited:
With RS232, there is a DTE and a DCE and it has always been a "reall mess" to interface.

There were two signals called DTR and DSR which basically said the "terminal" had power and the "modem" had power respectively.

RI or Ring indicator was used to indicate the the phone was ringing - In this product it has like 3 uses.
RTS/CTS = Request to send and Clear to Send were partly used to Answer the phone and to tell the modem that it's ready to accept a call.
So it's something like: The phone rings (RI); There is RTS or (Answer the phone); then there is a wait for DCD (Data carrier detect) and then there is a CTS or Clear to send.

Hardware handshaking was at one time a real nightmare. RTS/CTS is preferred, but some used DTR and DCR and some got it backwards.

There was also PG or protective ground.

As you can generally see, Rx/Tx and SG (Signal ground) are the minimum signals required.

The voltage levels for true RS232 was from -3 to 25V and +3 to 25V. Even that got messed up. +-12 became common and then +-5 became common and now TTL inverted has become common.

Software handshaking comes in two major flavors:
^S/^Q for stop/resume from the old paper tape readers
and ^S/resume on any character

I did not in this little blurb indicate directions To/From DTE/DCE but they are essential to the understanding.

"Null Modems" removed the requirement that the devices had to be connected to a modem.

i test the Sim900D to USB to TTL and it works fine i just put voltage divider between TTL(tx) and Sim900d(rx) 220 and 330 ohms.

Last edited:
No, the AMX232 will blow it up, for sure. You cannot use it directly.

USE ONLY a USB to 3.0 V TTL converter. Not sure if 3.3 is a problem, but I suspect it is. 3 V or greater is DEFINATELY a problem.

But, you are correct that Tx gets connected to Rx and vice versa unless you can change the type of port DTE/DCE.

On a bad note, the user manual link for the TTL-USB converter doesn't work for me. On a good note, the chip that it's based on https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/08/PL2303-1.pdf is OK for 3, 3.3 and 5V levels.

And, it's entirely POSSIBLE that if 3.3V was used, the modem is toast, but as I said, RS232 or TTL RS232 is tough to get to work.
Baud has to be right. Handshaking has to be right etc. Parity, data, stop etc all have to be right.

You can disable handshaking by playing with CTS and RTS and DSR and DTR. Looping CTS to RTS usually works. I have to look at the datasheet again to figure out if DTR or DSR is used and if it's an input or an output. Since this is a modem, it should be DSR and it would be an output.

So, connecting CTS and RTS looped at the modem and Rx connected to Tx and Tx connected to Rx and handshaking disabled with Hyperterminal, you should be able to find the baud rate by trial and error. Don't forget SG or signal ground.

Then you have to get handshaking to work for real data transmission to occur reliably.

Last edited:
i have a different sim900D

View attachment 66712

and i use this one before usb-ttl converter to connect with the module but it's not working now
i can't tell if the module or the usb-ttl is broken.
that's why i will use max232 to check which one of my GSM(sim900 or t290i) is working

View attachment 66713

Well how about posting a link for the manual of the unit you have. Does your PC even have a RS-232 port?

There was a link to the manual for the USB to TTL converter, but I could not open it.

I do think this device wants < 3.0 V on the serial pins. If Rxd had internal pull-ups AND the USB-TTL converter had Open Collector outputs you would be OK, but then there is CTS/RTS and the others.

I do believe that most USB to TTL is 3.3 or 5V based and mostly 3.3.

The inputs COULD be TOLERENT of 3.3 with a series resistor.

I made my originals assumptions based on the wrong manual, so first thing is having the correct manual. Secondly if there is a RS-232 port available then I would interface directly to that to remove one more dongle that can add to the mix.

And to the OP, the MAX232 is a 5v part, based on what your manual says, you may need a low voltage equivalent such as the one I mentioned earlier.

RS-232 has always led to confusion as what is the DCE and DTE, null modem or straight through. Fortunately the EIA standard defines the pinouts on the PC RS port, so all we need are the pinouts of the module that you are using.

For simplicity you should test with minimal devices such as...

[DCE 900D}-------{MAX3222}----------{DTE PC RS-232]

Once you get this simple arrangement working, then you can move to the USB converter, that is how I would do it.

Last edited:
USB to TTL can be pretty simple too. The BIG KEY is making sure the levels are ay 3V not anything else such as 3.3

Loopback USB is pretty simple.

Never played with handshaking.

As your handle suggest, less dongles in between makes for easier debug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back