Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grr... high frequency square wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandare99

hi

i wonder if anyone can give me some help on my problem. im trying to generate a 100 - 150 kh square wave using a 555 timer. although i am able to generate perfect square waves at 50 - 70 Khz, i cant seem to be able to get a perfect square wavon the output a higher frequencies. can anyone help me figure this out. im not very experienced in using electronic components. maybe my supply voltages have something to do with this as i am using the correct resistora and caps according to the furmulas.

also can someone help me with a circuit using a tl5100cp as its supposed to be able to create output frequencies of between 20kHz and 500 kHz

If you're highly concerned about getting a perfect 50% duty square wave, then perhaps you should instead generate a signal twice the desired frequency and pass it through a divide-by-2 (such as a D flip flop with an inverter between Q and D).

You cannot quite get a 50% duty cycle with a 555, but almost, provided the discharge resistor (between pins 6 and 7) is much larger than the charge resistor (between pin 7 and Vcc). eg 1M and 1K. Trouble is for the high frequency tou are looking for you would then need a mighty small cap.
Haven't done the sums.

Thank you guys

it a part of a driver circuit for an induction heater. The rest of the circuit works fine at lower frequencies. i use a 2nF cap.

dandare99 said:
hi

i wonder if anyone can give me some help on my problem. im trying to generate a 100 - 150 kh square wave using a 555 timer. although i am able to generate perfect square waves at 50 - 70 Khz, i cant seem to be able to get a perfect square wavon the output a higher frequencies. can anyone help me figure this out. im not very experienced in using electronic components. maybe my supply voltages have something to do with this as i am using the correct resistora and caps according to the furmulas.

also can someone help me with a circuit using a tl5100cp as its supposed to be able to create output frequencies of between 20kHz and 500 kHz
I can't find any reference to a part named TL5100.

evandude said:
If you're highly concerned about getting a perfect 50% duty square wave, then perhaps you should instead generate a signal twice the desired frequency and pass it through a divide-by-2 (such as a D flip flop with an inverter between Q and D).
You don't need and inverter with a D flip flop, just connect the Q(_) to the D.

For induction heating, you want an AC signal. A single transistor driver will be very inefficient; use a push pull circuit. A D type flip flop and AND gate can make the push pull drive which does not have to be (does not want to be) 50% duty cycle because you need some dead time while the transistors are switching.

Where was the duty cycle mentioned?

Use a TS555 because they're more stable at higher frequencies.

The circuit for 50% duty cycle is on the datasheet.

What sort of driver are you using?

I recommend adding a capacitor in parallel with the coil to provide a resonant circuit which will boost the efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back