Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Grounding unused chip pins ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

Grounding all unused chip pins

Is that what I should do with my cmos chips?

I'm using a cmos 4066 quad bilateral switch.
I'm only using a few of the internal switches.

What do I do with the un-used inputs and outputs?
do I ground the un-used inputs to stop it from floating/going high/low and causing noise?/de-coupling?
And , what about the outputs?

Another reason I ask, is , are cmos chips less prone to static damage if the pins are connected to ground, even the outputs with a resistor?

Attachments

• clipboard4066.gif
    clipboard4066.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 526
You don't want to tie logic outputs to ground or Vdd.

For an analog mux like that one, the "outputs" aren't logic outputs since they have no driver on the chip, so you can tie these to ground too. It's not a really high priority issue though.

YEs only tie inputs to GND. Better still tie them to GND via a resistor, thus if you have to mod the cct and need some of the unused cct you can easily access them

Ground the inputs and activate the unused switches so their outputs are also grounded through the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back