Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends upon the type, power, and frequency range of the circuit. It could be anything from a simple wire to a solid copper plane.

Please post the schematic.

Most of the time it's the the -V terminal of the battery.

Many beginners are confused by the word "ground" in electrical schematics and in electrical construction. The word's meaning is found by looking at its context. If it is found on a schematic for a simple microprocessor, audio, or control circuit, then it merely means that all the points on the circuit labelled ground should be connected together with conductors. In such low frequency circuits the conductor is usually just some wire or copper plating on the pcb, whatever is most convenient. The shape and length of the wire or copper trace is usually up to the designer and may be any shape. However, there are electrical benefits to keeping the ground wire or conductor as short as is practical or convenient.

If you are building machines or circuits for managing power in the AC mains, then "Ground" may refer to earth ground. This literally means that the point called "ground" should be connected with wire into the dirt and rock beneath your feet. The likelihood of a hobbiest or student needing this kind of ground is effectively zero. Well, that is, other than connecting your project's metal chassis to the ground lug on your line cord that is.

In high frequency electronics, a "ground" is also a common point to which all nodes labelled "ground" get attached to by conductors. However, best performance is achieved when the conductor is a large flat plane of metal laid parallel to the circuitry. Ground planes of this sort are essential in all RF electronics, and all high speed computer printed circuit boards.

So, my answer to your question is: any way you please, as long as all points labelled "ground" are connected together with good conductors

Last edited:
In some schematics they have a cell schematic and the small side as ground
**broken link removed**

Q? how will I make a practical ground in breadboard.plz show pics if you have them.

I will make an assumption that you are referring to ground routing for a breadboard circuit that you are working on. Now depending on many factors the ground layout will become more critical. How many times have I seen a good design gone badly due to improper power and ground layouts?

Good grounding never becomes more important as it does in a breadboard circuit as ground plane real-estate is often scarce. So in general, good grounding practices are a must and will be more so as power and speed demands increase. More ground plane is usually a good thing.

Attached is a photo of an old, literally Breadboard I once made (Notice it is made on a wooden board). The circuit was a single 12 vdc tube amp with a op amp. I just wanted to try my hand at a low voltage version of a tube amp. It worked well, no surprises like oscillations or things like that. You will notice in the image that I used big beefy gauge copper wire which I actually routed groves in the wood for support and glued the copper wire in place to support the whole structure.
I also included a few links I found on breadboards and grounding.

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=6105

http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/RADELECT/BREADBD/BREADBD.HTM

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/bboard.pdf

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• breadboard.jpg
    breadboard.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I am now convinced it is a complete waste of time to put any effort into responding to first time posters as they never bother to come back and view the responses. Perhaps a single line sentence question is a clue...

Last edited:
I agree about the first time posters.... at least some others on the site can gain something from the replies that's posted, if not the OP...

That is true :)

I would have suggested burying it in the garden.
Then it's properly grounded.

On breadboard you can have your grounding in any of almost thousands of ways.
I normally create a ground rail and a positive rail.

I think this OT can ma use his creativity and imagination.

I would have suggested burying it in the garden.
Then it's properly grounded.

On breadboard you can have your grounding in any of almost thousands of ways.
I normally create a ground rail and a positive rail.

I think this OT can ma use his creativity and imagination.

I have to be inclined to disagree somewhat :( I have seen so many circuits that people have constructed that should have worked, just go bad to due to poor grounding layout.

Many audio Amps just burst into squeals as a result of ground problem induced oscillations. Many would be Comparator circuits turn into oscillators due to high gains and high impedance ground issues.

Of course, most of the time a ground wire will not be an issue, but consider the simple bypass capacitor. How many times has someone been bit by leaving off this ever simple part?

After having lessons learned, we just include the cap for every project as it offers assurance that our circuit will function as designed.

It is my belief that this philosophy should also hold true for circuit constuction as it applies to circuit layout.

Good layouts will allow hobbiest circuit builders to avoid many of the common pitfalls which can easily be avoided.

Well that is my thinking anyways :)

In some schematics they have a cell schematic and the small side as ground
**broken link removed**

On another board, I saw an "expert" (because he had a lot of posts to his credit), insisting that the small line in your symbol was the positive end, because it "represents the little nipple found on batteries (cells)".

He seemed resentful that people were saying his project could not be duplicated.:rolleyes:

Mikebits, you are absolutely right, but then again, you would not do the lay-out of a complicated, or RF sensitive application on bread-board since your results will be non-results. I would definitely do something such as an amplifier using proper PC board, if I stuff it up, then that's tough.

I've referred to that point, normally stuff done on breadboard and its cousins are small, non-critical things like a square wave generator using 555 timer, or simple stuff, testing something silly, or part of a circuit, or such.

You could do it differently, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back