Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground, noise and things inbetween

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, today whilst I was grounding my friends guitar pedal, I was thinking "What is making the noise?", "How does grounding the output to the chassis get rid of the noise?"

So I was wondering if anyone could quickly rush through grounding and noise? How? What? When? Where? Etc...

It's not a simple concept, but:

1) Twisting pairs of signal wires reduces EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference)
2) Shielding a wire or enclosure (surrounding in metal) reduces RFI (Radio interference)
3) The shield and the ground should be connected at one end only.
4) Since this is somewhat audio related, transmitting a signal on a balanced input (usually XLR connectors) tends to eliminate "ground loops".
5) A ground loop is where there are multiple grounds and a potential builds up between them, this causes a large current through a small resistance and bad things start to happen.
6) Crossing wires is better than running say a signal conductor in parallel and next to a current carrying conductor.
7) Signal grounds (analog ground, Digital ground), power ground and protective ground need to all stay separate and then connected at one point which is the reference.
8) Your house should references all the plumbing, electrical, telephone and cable to a a single earth point. If an internal line gets hit by lightning, then that large current travels direct to Earth and thus other circuits are not affected by the difference in potential created by the current. Their reference is still the ground.
9) Ground can vary over the distance of the earth especially when thunderstorms are in the area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back