Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ground/earth problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harps

hello , I hope all is well.

i made a relays and led circuit recently which a micro controller (arduino) triggers via its logic 5v outs. I built and tested the circuit on a work top table using a standard 5v power supply to test and trigger the relay/led circuits (to save me booting up my pc+arduino each day) and a 12v supply for the relay/led circuit.

The 12v relay/led circuit works great, but when i finally replaced the 5v psu and connected the arduino, the earth's/grounds of the circuit and arduino just do not like each other..So I installed an opto-isolator circuit between each and wow it all works !! great, but the problem is that when i installed it all into a metal chassis the usb plug and the power plugs both touch the chassis and cause the same problem as before, so what i did was use insulation tape around the usb connector, this just seems so bad and not a good idea.

i think its a ground loop problem potential difference or something? i just hope someone might know of a fix that will work? I have no schematic because my circuit is so hard to see now under all the hook up wires. if anyone might know a fix i'd be so grateful

thanks for reading.
harps : )

Last edited:
I would have to see a schematic to get a clue of what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back