Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Green: The New Red White and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
The Discovery Channel is showing a program "Green: The New Red, White and Blue." In the US it will be shown twice the evening of the 4/23 (tomorrow).

It is an overview of the what the US can do to move from the worlds largest producer of greenhouse gasses to a leader in clean, green energy.

In spite of the title the program has a global aspect, I encourage you to view it regardless of where you live. If you can find it.

hi 3v0,
Will keep a lookout on UK TV.

I see that China have launched a massive coal fired power station building program.
From memory, they are opening one station each month for the next 7 years.

At present they have a 14% per capita rating on emissions, by 2020 they will be the world 'leader'!.

Regards

They talked about that. I am not sure (my dram refresh is broken) but it may be 2 plants per month.

One interesting thing I learned is that there now exists technology to build coal power stations that remove the co2. The problem is that they cost 40% more to build and produce 20% less power. To date none have been built.

hi,
Sometimes the discovery channel website has a 'part program video', I'll have look see.

EDIT: cant see any TV listing at this time.

3v0, have a peek at this link
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
3v0 said:
It is an overview of the what the US can do to move from the worlds largest producer of greenhouse gasses to a leader in clean, green energy.

Pardon me if I'm sceptical?, but the USA has always refused to meet international standards and recommendations on pollution - so I'm dubious about the levels they might actually achieve! (or even attempt).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Pardon me if I'm sceptical?, but the USA has always refused to meet international standards and recommendations on pollution - so I'm dubious about the levels they might actually achieve! (or even attempt).

You have a right (and reason) to be sceptical.

It seemed the idea behind the show was to motivate people to take action. In part point out that there is a lot we can do we the technology we have and what is "just around the corner". A we can make it happen if we try sort of thing.

3v0 said:
They talked about that. I am not sure (my dram refresh is broken) but it may be 2 plants per month.

One interesting thing I learned is that there now exists technology to build coal power stations that remove the co2. The problem is that they cost 40% more to build and produce 20% less power. To date none have been built.

They call is "sequestering" or "carbon capture", the CO2 is pumped into an underground formation at high pressure or into the deep ocean where it chemically bonds into a solid. Obviously these require the plant to be in a pretty special location and the compression takes a substantial portion of the produced energy since the volume of exhaust is tremendous.

hi oznog,
In the UK, as the North Sea natural gas fields are being depleted, 'captured CO2' is being pumped back into the 'old' gas fields.

As I understand, in the States, even though the 'establishment' is reluctant to acknowledge global heating problems, the commercial sector have made some important inroads into the reduction of greenhouse gases.

They obviously realise that this technology will be required in the future and there is a profit to be made in selling this to other countries.

I'm not knocking 'profit', its the main reason we have such a wide range of goods.

I agree that it is our mess and we need to clean it up.

A lot of the anti-trust protection that was put in place to protect the public in the US has been gutted. Elections have become so expensive that without major backing (millions) it is praticaly impossible to win a major campain. This has corrupted our system more so then others because on a world scale you get more "bang for the buck" by spending your corruption/bribe dollars in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back