Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Great forum. . . small suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

First off, i am just going to say that this is the BEST forum i've seen. my small suggestion is that maybe you could delete some of the really old postings. i've seen one from july of 2002! it would just make things simpler.

So long as the database and/or forum operation is not hampered by the size of the database, it would, IMHO, be a mistake to drop "old" threads. One of the nice features about any well-written forum script is the ability to do some fairly comprehensive searches within the forum contents. This gives all forum readers the ability to find possible answers to their current questions that have already been posted in response to another reader's question, if they take the time to do a quick search. Further, it also gives those posting responses the ability to point a reader to previously posted responses when appropriate.

For example, there are often questions asked that have been asked already, and sometimes, an excellent response exists as well. Why re-write the response if we can point the reader to the existing one instead?

Consider the time spent by some of the forum regulars in answering questions. Any time not spent in repetitive responses to common questions is time that can then be spent in helping other readers with new questions... :)

The forum history constitutes a certain body of knowledge. Would you discard reference books from your personal library just because they are "old"? I wouldn't! I sometimes have the need to look up information on a topic that I may not have dealt with in the past ten years, but at least I have the source material readily available when I need it. It's the same, albeit on a different scale, with the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back