Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

grbl to pic18

Status
Not open for further replies.

blandness

I am currently in my second year of an electronics engineering program. I have taken an introductory course in microprocessors focusing on the PIC18. This semester we are building a desktop milling machine based on grbl. I am responsible for porting the code to pic. It is obvious to me that this a little above my skill level, but I will certainly give it my best effort. Any direction would be much appreciated. I have already started the port, basically building the existing code in mplab and fixing errors. I have most of that finished as far as i can tell. Is this the right way to start? Where do I go from here?

Thats a pretty broad question.
Do you want to totally write your own code to control a machine from gm code or do you want to run another standard machine platform on the pic?

All the referneces use avr's and c language, I'm out on both counts, I use pic micro and .asm.

Thats not going to be a easy job. You have your road cut out for you There a lot of code there to port and a lot of it is handled totally different going from AVR to the PIC.

Now that's not to say the pic cant handle the task it can. Why reinvent the wheel when you have a good one to use.

I was actually going to port this over and decided not to... main reason... AVR's are cheap.

You can port this and the real issue if any is the interrupts... the rest should not be hard.

Wish you the best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back