Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphics LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the text LCD display, the HD44780 is the standard.

I'm wondering if there is a standard for graphics LCDs and I think I'd like to start playing with those.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the KS0108 is "the standard", the the HD44780 is on character LCDs, but I do believe it is trying to become such a standard. For graphical LCDs, you will find a lot of different protocols and interface methods; make sure that whatever GLCD you obtain, you can get the specification sheet for it. When in doubt, though, look for KS0108 compatibility.

As far as I recall the KS0108 existed already in 1996 if not before. Times trying to be the standard are over. Too many new, too different, seem to be available.

I understand it is somehow a standard for "old" GLCDs.

If not going with the new ones, serial input, colour, I would go for one with the KS0108. Once you understand how it works it is not that hard.

Thanks guys. Can the KS0108 be run on a 4 line data bus like the HD44780?

If so, it looks like I would only need 8 pins to drive the display (assuming always on or off backlight, 4 bit bus, and always in write mode -- no read)

Enable Pin
Data/Instruction Pin
DB0-DB3
Chip Select 1 and Chip Select 2

Does this sound correct?

Check the datasheet of your GLCD

We are talking here about the chip used inside of the GLCD. So, you have to check the datasheet of the GLCD to know how it was actually implemented.

Beware of pins CS1 and CS2. The manufacturer of the GLCD could make them active high or active low.

A year ago, I decided to use one of Brazilian origin. Since the manufacturer vanished from Earth, I collected information from several displays to see if there was any logic in the assignment of pins.

Just by an educated guess based on those I knew where they were, I managed to identify the rest.

The attachment shows the data I collected. Just eliminate the .doc extension to have the Excel file.

By the way, you can see how many pins you will need.

Attachments

• Identifying the pins of a GLCD 12864.xls.doc
    16.5 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back