Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS to Serial connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

natural_orange

I want to build a connector to connect my explorist 200 to my computer via serial port.

Source: **broken link removed**

There schematic (**broken link removed**) is kinda vague as to where the capicitors go and what resistor to use.

Also where is a good place to buy the components?

- Cable with 9-pin connector for serial port (Female) -HAVE
- Cable with USB connector. - HAVE
- One chip MAX-232,
- Dip-socket for this chip with 16 pin
- One resistor 1 to 5 Ohm
- Five capacitors 0.33 - 1 mikroFarad,

What kind of board should I mount it to? like a breadboard or something?

hi ... you don't have your location filled in, so it's hard to guess where a good place to buy would be for you.

how many of these do you plan to build? there is another version of the max232, called the max233. it has the capacitors built-in, making it a lot easier to assemble. of course, this convenience costs about 3x the price of the 232, it's worth it in a one-off situation

kinda vague as to where the capicitors go and what resistor to use.
Look at page 17 of this doc:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/12/MAX220-MAX249.pdf
They recommend 1uF caps for the MAX232 and take carefull note of the polarity. And yes, C4's + terminal goes to ground. This is normal because it is for the negative supply generated internally by the MAX232.
As for the resistor, that would depend on the GPS unit. I assume this is just for charging the batteries in the GPS. That's why it is labeled as optional. I would leave it out if you are uncertain.

The Gps has to be powered since the batteries have to be removed to get acess to the connectors...

Whats a good site/store for parts?

I'm really only planning on building one. Idk if its possible just to buy one. The MAX233 sounds like it might be better for this situation though, I'm pretty new to this stuff but i really wanna learn more about it

Check out bgmicro.com

you'll be able to get everything on your list there, and they are pretty cheap too.

I dunno about powering your GPS off the USB, but I guess the website says it'll work. I tried that with mine, Garmin GPS III, and the usb couldn't source enough current. The garmin would turn on and then shutdown once it tried to fully initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back