Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Speed meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChriX

Hi all, just wanted to post my recently completed GPS speed meter. The idea is to have something that saves the maximum speed reached, for the main purpose of sticking to my RC car. I was quite pleased with how small I managed to make it without getting a proper PCB done so wanted to show off :p Thanks go to Nigel for his LCD routines and everyone who helped in my mph/kmh thread. :)

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

It uses an EM406 receiver from www.coolcomponents.co.uk I may design a board using SMT components so that I can have a chance at getting a battery to fit too (at the moment it is powered from the RC car receiver battery).

Nice project! - I notice you have a MAX232 there, presumably to communicate with an external PC?. You could make it smaller by having the MAX232 external, as part of the lead to the PC.

Just a simple way to make more room, and common practice for temporary RS232 connections.

Thanks Nigel! I used the MAX232 because the GPS module ouput talks in LVTTL, I thought the PIC would be able to handle these levels, but when testing it it couldn't. So as I had a 232 to hand i've just put the output from the GPS into the TTL side, bridged the RS232 side and connected the output of the TTL side to the PIC - not the most elegant of solutions, but it works. :)

Edit: A picture of it strapped to my RC (excuse the dirt!) **broken link removed**

Last edited:
ChriX said:
Thanks Nigel! I used the MAX232 because the GPS module ouput talks in LVTTL, I thought the PIC would be able to handle these levels, but when testing it it couldn't. So as I had a 232 to hand i've just put the output from the GPS into the TTL side, bridged the RS232 side and connected the output of the TTL side to the PIC - not the most elegant of solutions, but it works. :)

Yes, if it works don't knock it! - but I probably wouldn't have thought of trying it that way!.

Edit: A picture of it strapped to my RC (excuse the dirt!) **broken link removed**

Nice! :D

BTW, how fast does it go?.

What an interesting use of the GPS on a RC car!

Armed with the GPS data, your RC car could in theory(with a map inside the PIC) drive itself through rugged terrain without human intervention, right?

Last edited:
It could in theory, i'd have doubts about obstacle avoidance unless the obstacles were the size of small houses or something due to the accuracy of GPS.

Nigel, it went a quite dissapointing 26mph last time I checked it, but then I do have it geared for acceleration at the moment and the engine wasn't tuned very well (/excuses). Should do 40 when i've sorted it out. ;)

ChriX said:
Nigel, it went a quite dissapointing 26mph last time I checked it, but then I do have it geared for acceleration at the moment and the engine wasn't tuned very well (/excuses). Should do 40 when i've sorted it out. ;)

I should hope so :D

Don't the electric powered ones do 26mph?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back