Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS project help

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronist

I am working on a final year project whereby I have decided to map the indian railway on my computer screen and show the whereabout of any particular train at a precise location.
My questions are
Is it possible to upload data from a moving vehical to a GPS satellite and then receive it at my selected console
What are the usable frequensies as specified by the requirements
Is there any site where i can get the complete information
Please help.
Ive got 6 months in hand
Thank you

The 'domes' that I see on top of tractor-trailers verifies what I think I know - that they've been doing this for years in the trucking industry - at least here in the US. The dome is a GPS antenna and if I am not mistaken the system reports via satellite, cell phone or local VHF/UHF link.

Amateur radio operators have their own APRS - Automated Position Reporting System. Take a look in current ham radio publications for info. A recent copy of QST published by ARRL details a relatively simple project where a simple hand-held GPS unit is interfaced with a hand-held ham transceiver. I presume that a similar unit (or many more) exists to recieve and process the data.

Is it possible to upload data from a moving vehical to a GPS satellite and then receive it at my selected console

i dont believe u can upload anything to a GPS satalite ,they are made only for recieving..

williB said:
i dont believe u can upload anything to a GPS satalite ,they are made only for recieving..

Correct. The GPS satellite is only a transmitter and does not itself have any information on where the receivers are.

A GPS receiver is far too difficult to build, but there's a standard NEMA format that they all have as a serial data output. You can buy off-the-shelf GPS receivers cheap with varying degrees of accuracy and signal acquisition capabilities. The output's easy to read with a microcontroller.

The radio link is the hard part. You can only build short range line-of-sight transmitters in most places due to the local airwave laws. You could do a network of powered repeaters to relay the information along. Or connect with an external data service like a cellphone system, but you'll need to have a contract with another provider to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back