Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPIB Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I have this powersupply:
**broken link removed**

Its a sweet powersupply and would make a nice addition to the lab. I have 5 modules in it:
120V @ 1.25A
60V @ 2.5A
20V @ 7.5A x2
8V @ 16A
The only downside is the only user interface is GPIB (There is a special keyboard that plugs in but I dont have it). I have a GPIB card that I can install in my PC, but I'd like to build a stand-alone controller for it so I don't need to have my pc powered up.

I have the programer's Guide for the supply and I know which commands I need to send. I don't know how to address each module though. I know the address of each module, (Its the primary address set by the dipswitches on the back + the slot offset.) I just dont know how that fits into the GPIB communication. I've attached the programmer's guide if that helps.

I'm also considering using a RS232 <> GPIB converter, but I haven't been able to find one that looks decent. Anyone have experience with one in particular?

Attachments

• 66000- programming.pdf
    474.4 KB · Views: 235
Don't know of any stand-along GPIB controllers. You could get the keyboard for it, but new they are over $1000, so that's probably not an option. Could try Ebay for one.

There are a number of companies that build USB to GPIB adapters. You might use one of the those. You can even build one yourself **broken link removed**. Of course you still need a computer but you could use a laptop to be more portable.

I'm considering building a usb converter and then have another microcontroller that will talk to it. I found this one here thats a 1-chip solution: **broken link removed** He has the schematic and source code posted.
I've never used a PIC with a built in USB driver though, so I would still have to go through the hassle of learning that.

The cheapest converter I've found is about $150 but you might be able to get one for less at Ebay. You have to balance that cost against the time, hassle, and cost of doing it yourself.

If you use the PIC converter, than you should be able to program the PIC to talk directly to the GPIB bus without needing the USB port to talk to another microcontroller, which just adds an unnecessary interface. I assume you could interface to the PIC to tell it what commands you need sent by some type of keypad.

Thats HPIB

Very nice power supply.:)
I'm considering building a usb converter and then have another microcontroller that will talk to it. I found this one here thats a 1-chip solution: **broken link removed** He has the schematic and source code posted.
I've never used a PIC with a built in USB driver though, so I would still have to go through the hassle of learning that.

It would be easiest to start with this project. Add a keypad and LCD display to the existing 18F2550 in the project. Ditch the USB code if you do not want it.

Regardless of how you do the project you will have to learn about the HPIB command structure and what commands do what to the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back