Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gparted ISO file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I need to repartition my HD. I was told gparted was a good program to use. I found gparted on sourceforge http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
The file is an iso file. How do I run this type of file? do I have to burn it to a disk? My CD burner seems to be broke, can I do this on a flashdisk somehow?

Not unless you have modern system. The .iso was probably a live linux disk to boot to which would let you run gparted.
You many be able to 'burn' the image to a flash drive (if it's large enough) but there may also be thumbdrive linux copys out there that contain gparted already (very common utility)

The main problem you have is that the bios has to support booting to a USB drive, if yours doesn't the only option is to burn the ISO to a CD and boot from that.

G'day Mike,
I use G-Parted and have to say it is the best partition tool out there in my opinion. All I did was burn the iso onto a cdr using IMG BURN and it made life that much easier when I was setting up the dual boot. Now if you want to fully erase the HD use a program called Dareks Nuke em (sp) that program will wipe a hd completely giving one a fresh start for a new OS. So after wiping the hd G-Parted will boot so one can setup the partitions easily and format them ready for an OS to be loaded.

Cheers Bryan

You can put the image from the iso onto the flash disk using a program such as unetbootin, which also makes the drive bootable (if supported). I've used the one linked on this site before without problems for various LiveCDs: http://www.xpud.org/download.en.html#tab-2

[MODNOTE]Post Removed. There is really no need to re-iterate the same point twice.[/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I gave up on gparted and am trying EaseUS Partition Master. I followed the instructions to shrink the D drive but cant figure out how to add the unallocated space to the C drive. See images.

Thanks

View attachment 67033

View attachment 67034

You have to move the unallocated section after C and before D, you can't add the unallocated section to C currently because partitions can't be split up.

you can expand one partition only if the unallocated space is adjacent (directly next to it).

You have to move the unallocated section after C and before D, you can't add the unallocated section to C currently because partitions can't be split up.

So how do I do that?

depends on used tools. if they don't offer way to move things around, do it by hand:
1 create new partition in unused space
2 copy data from second to third partition
3 remove second partition and you got the free space
4 expand first partition.

if you want to keep size of the D: partition, then in step 1 make two new partitions (12gb and 22.4gb).
then in step3 also remove 12gb (used as place holder to shift 22.4gb partition to the end of the drive)

I don't quite understand how to do that. There are 3 methods described in the software help file.

**broken link removed**

Which method should I use. I had performed solution 1 where I got stuck. Should I undo what I did and start over ?

I really don't know much about this sort of thing.

Thanks

what do you mean you are stuck? can you explain what you did?

here is partitioning in a nutshell:

1. harddrive is space that you can use but before you can use it you have to partition it and each partition has to be formated before it can be used.
in simplest case you just make one partition that occupies entire drive. or you can split it into multiple partitions if you like.

2. there are different types of partitions: primary and extended. in total you can have up to 4 per drive (all 4 can be primary or 3x primary and one extended).
partition that is marked as active is one used to boot. in your case that is first partition which is known as C: drive.

extended partition is sort of virtual drive, it can be further divided into logical partitions (which act in many ways like regular partitions but normally are not bootable). if you are new to this, just stick to primary partitions.

3. partitions also have type depending on file system that will be used. choose type that matches your needs. if you are installing Linux, you will want one of EXT types etc.

4. once the partition is created (using any kind of partitioning software like gparted, fdisk or whatever), it still need to be formated before it can be used.
note: if you are using Windows to format the partitions, you may have to reboot so windows recognizes that there was change in partitions. Windows supports several file systems, FAT16 is not suitable as it only works for smaller partition size. FAT32 may be not suitable either if you expect files larger than 4Gb (some file types that commonly get large are .ISO .MKV etc.) so safest bet is to use NTFS. once the drive is formatted, windows still needs handle to access it (drive letter). you can assign drive letter from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Drive Manager. if the partition is formatted by Windows and not some 3rd party tool, letter is assigned automatically.

there is more to it but i am tired of typing so this is it for basics.

back to your issue:
normally partitions cannot be created in the middle of the drive - some partitioning tools create partitions one after another. but once this is done, previous partition can be removed and the second one will remain in place. but your program is more flexible and supports moving partitions:
https://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/moving-parition.htm

if there is an error or something,post it. chances are that some files on that partition are used. if you installed your partitioning software on that partition, you will not be able to move that partition. this is why best way to partition is to boot from CD or USB and not use anything from hard drive until job is done.

hmmm, i've just re-read your post and it seems that you are referring to thee cases:
Case 1 - Extend a partition.
Case 2 - Shrink a partition.
Case 3 - Move a partition.

you tried to extend partition but obviously the unallocated space is not next to C: so "case 1" does not work (yet).
before you can do that, you have to use "Case 3" - move partition. use this to move D: to the end of the drive.
that way unallocated space will be next to C: and THEN you can run through steps they call "Case 1" (extend C: partition).

Basically I had a single drive partitioned as a C and D. Well the C drive ran out of space. So what I want to do is transfer Some of the D drive to the C drive. I am just having trouble figuring out how to do it with the EASEUS software. Maybe I need to take my system to a shop.

Mike, you have to move partition D AFTER the unallocated space so that the partitions are C <unallocated> D
THEN you can extend C into the unallocated section.

hmmm, i've just re-read your post and it seems that you are referring to thee cases:

you tried to extend partition but obviously the unallocated space is not next to C: so "case 1" does not work (yet).
before you can do that, you have to use "Case 3" - move partition. use this to move D: to the end of the drive.
that way unallocated space will be next to C: and THEN you can run through steps they call "Case 1" (extend C: partition).

Thanks, that almost worked. I did everything as you explained, all was going well until the system reebooted and started to make the changes. About 2% into it, the software stopped with an error.

I think I will run disk defrag and try again.

What was the error?

I did not say. It just an error has occurred, press any key to reboot. After I pressed a key, system rebooted and no changes were made. I tried to run defrag but do not have enough disk space to defrag. So I got to find some stuff to delete and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back