Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got invitation to test for university of applied sciences!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

This, I've been long waited to even try on applying there.
But, now that I read earlier tests, I really need to train on chemistry/physics. Not only that, but calculator is not allowed on this years excam....means It'll be VERY hard test for me. Back in school, teachers couldn't teach well those subjects, and I'm generation that has used calculator always.
Well, there is week until test, but this will be no doubt, hardest test I've ever made! :O I don't stress, only "angry" you could say, why oh why, teachers were only teaching and not interested in what they taught.

Gadzooks :facepalm: No calculators? :nailbiting: I would fail in Epic proportion. Good luck Bro.

Gadzooks :facepalm: No calculators? :nailbiting: I would fail in Epic proportion. Good luck Bro.
Same here, gotta train and see what's gonna happen. And some of those earlier test questions are class "neverheard of boolean mass in chemistry"

I could lend you my slide rule.
THAT is actually one thing that I'd like to learn to use, calculator without batteries! hmm, i wonder would be that considered as calculator, I do have one of those ;D

Not much use anyway, a slide rule is at best just an 'educated guess' :D

Before computers and calculators we had to rely on log tables, then slide rules, and with a lot of practice you would be surprised at just how accurately you could guess the position of the curser in-between markings on logarithmic scales. I used to pride myself on getting accuracy to four decimal places.

Not much use anyway, a slide rule is at best just an 'educated guess' :D
A rather off hand remark there NG.

Having spent many hours battering my way through various calculations with the aid of a slide rule, one had to know their limitations and to take other measures to look after the decimal point, but they would give you the answer to 3 significant figures quite easily.
Three significant figure is quite adequate for most day to day engineering calculations.

Having said all that, would I use a slide rule when I had a calculator handy?
Most unlikely.
Have I dumped my 50 year old slide rule?
No way José, it is on the shelf in front of me right now.

JimB

Back in school, teachers couldn't teach well those subjects
and
...why oh why, teachers were only teaching and not interested in what they taught.

So, you've known that math was a weak point for you all these years and you still desired to get into an advanced school? Now you sit and fret and blame the teachers for your math skills? Get off your duff and teach yourself. No matter how good a teacher is, he/she is not going to LEARN you, they will teach you but nobody can pour information into your head. It takes effort on your part. If you have expectations that this advanced school will LEARN you, you are living in a fantasy land. I guess you won't be disappointed in yourself if you get accepted and then fail the course work - you will simply blame the professors.

If you have a learning disability, get it taken care of. Then, stand on your own two feet and teach yourself if the teachers are not helping.

and

So, you've known that math was a weak point for you all these years and you still desired to get into an advanced school? Now you sit and fret and blame the teachers for your math skills? Get off your duff and teach yourself. No matter how good a teacher is, he/she is not going to LEARN you, they will teach you but nobody can pour information into your head. It takes effort on your part. If you have expectations that this advanced school will LEARN you, you are living in a fantasy land. I guess you won't be disappointed in yourself if you get accepted and then fail the course work - you will simply blame the professors.

If you have a learning disability, get it taken care of. Then, stand on your own two feet and teach yourself if the teachers are not helping.

Rather cruel!.

As far as Maths goes, at least to the fairly high level I presume we're discussing here?, it isn't something that can easily be taught or learnt - you either have an aptitude for maths, or you don't. If you don't have an aptitude, you might never be able to learn higher maths.

My daughter is currently finishing her Chemistry Phd, and Chemistry is VERY, VERY maths intensive - certainly equalling (or exceeding) first year maths degree work. So they run maths classes in the Chemistry department, and the vast majority of students struggle doing the required maths. Not a concern for my daughter, as she did Further Maths at A-level, and was considering doing a Maths degree, only switching at the last moment as she thought Chemistry would be more interesting - and was asked to run extra maths classes for the other Chemistry students. Obviously Physics requires similar higher maths skills, and Physics degrees include maths modules as well.

Rather cruel!.
Cruel perhaps, but true, I've always known math and stuff isn't my confort area, which is why I nevr bothered to learn it.

I don't have learning disablity, I will learn once things lock in place, like puzzle. Like yesterday, one guy showed hoverboard.
There were 5 of us trying, and all other except me falled and whined about their angles. Even thought I have poisture problem and bad balance, but according to guy that showed that think I was those few that got hang of it in few minutes. My point is there are hidden abilites on all of us, some, not me, ar eborn mathematics and don't ever need calculator for example. I know It'll be hard on there on higher school, I knew it before even applying. But I know I have skills and knowledge and motivation, stuff that is needed there. I'd have applied there year ago, but missed the date. Also my teacher said back in school when I was studying as EE that I have talent to remember and calculate stuff. Me and other guy were those who collected best values from tests, even if you guys don't believe me.

Teacher teacher, students learn, yes that's the way it should go, but it's so easy for teacher just to toss hands up "it 'aint my problem if you won't learn" and same applies to students. But back in the days,truly, I was too scared, think of it, scared of asking help. I was the one getting bullied all the time due my poisture (which is medical condition btw, nothing to with computers) and when I had to get glasses to see on whiteboard....it really pains me now that I remember those days, why didn't I stand up? I can't change past how much I would, but now I just gotta eat this rotten sandwich and hope that aches 'aint that bad...

I don;t know if we discussed it, but it's important to know how YOU learrn/memorize.

Three concepts:
1. Visual
2. Verbal
3. Kinesthetic. This is basically repetition or "How you learn to ride a bike".

Knowing what you need and modifying the data sent to you to a form you can manage can make all the difference in the world.

The problem is, "the teacher" may only use the principle applicable to her, so you are at a disadvantage. A doctor revealed to me that he was able to visualize an entire textbook page word for word. So, just think if "teach" used only that principle when teaching his or her students.

In my case I need mostly #3. My own custom Flash cards worked for me. Anticipated questions on the front and answers on the back. I created them as I red the assignment and used them at every chance I got. It got me a 4.0 GPA in college.

I also used the verbal method in a very unusual way. We were given 100 words and we had to look up the definitions and use them in a sentence. The words were given to us ahead of time. At that point we had to do the looking up and creating of the sentences. The exam was then a list of the same words with the instructions to write the definition and use the word in a sentence. You could still get things wrong.

I used both the flashcards and the verbal method. For the verbal method I recorded me reciting the word and a pause for the definition and a pause for the sentence and the the recorded sentence. I played this right before bedtime and a couple of hours during my initial sleep.

It was what we were told at college

I don't think there were many "calculators" of the electronic versions during the space race to the moon. I do believe there were plenty of slide rules.

So if anyone bombs us back to the stone age, we would get to relearn everything.

I don't think there were many "calculators" of the electronic versions during the space race to the moon. I do believe there were plenty of slide rules.

There were also plenty of main frames :D

And of course you only need a piece of paper and a pencil to do the maths anyway - I was educated pre-calculators.

And It's now written, was quite hard but easier than I thought. Calculator wasn't needed, questions were more "puzzle" oriented

Okay, I didn't pass test, which felt odd since it felt easy enough. Got 10 points of 14.5 needed, but I'm still on reserve #58 so it isn't failed straightforward. But, i was in contact with local job-center, or what is it called in English, and they said that it is indeed like I thought to study along without job; I'm both student and unoccupied, but none either. So, it 'aint over yet ;)

Wee, I got accepted via this tricky way I described earlier, school starts at 22-day this month if all goes well, and people I talked agreed with my motives that this education increases my chances of employment in future and stuff like that! :) Me happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back