Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got an oscilloscope for Xmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

It's an OWON HDS1022M - https://www.tequipment.net/OWONHDS1022M.html

What made this a good option (for me) was that it is dual channel. I wanted to see what goes in to a circuit and what it spat out.

It looks faily crammed with options, so it is definitely going to keep me occupied for a bit.

My wifes other options were an OWON PDS digital scope, and a second hand analogue scope that was shown to me in these forums.

I don't think my wife wanted me to own a house brick so I reckon this is why I have this one.

Regards

Mark

I've wanted to play with the OWON scope, the 5022 is a real bargain I hope you can post your thoughts on yours.
How's the screen quality as it's STN not TFT, did you try using the Junebugs 30KHz mode (it's resonably accurate 29.98KHz on mine)
What is the USB software like?

I certainly will.

The screen quality is very clear, when it is powered on the backlight is lit automatically. You need a well lit room to read the screen with the back light switched off.

The power consumption is excellent, I have'nt needed to recharge it yet and I reckon it has been in use for about 3 hours on battery power (manual says six!).

I downloaded the PicKit2 software and went through the troubleshooting function to generate the 30KHz but I can't get a decent "grab" of the relevant pin with my probes so the readings are all over the place.

I havent installed the software yet but I will as I want to have a tinker with the IR module on the JuneBug (thats a bugger to grab with probes!)

Actually I want to see how I can record a wave and "review" it later - I think mucking around with IR will be useful for testing that.

I will put some information up when I getter a better idea of what I am doing

Mark

p.s. the manual assumes you know about scopes.....

UTMonkey said:
I certainly will.

The screen quality is very clear, when it is powered on the backlight is lit automatically. You need a well lit room to read the screen with the back light switched off.

The power consumption is excellent, I have'nt needed to recharge it yet and I reckon it has been in use for about 3 hours on battery power (manual says six!).

I downloaded the PicKit2 software and went through the troubleshooting function to generate the 30KHz but I can't get a decent "grab" of the relevant pin with my probes so the readings are all over the place.

I havent installed the software yet but I will as I want to have a tinker with the IR module on the JuneBug (thats a bugger to grab with probes!)

Actually I want to see how I can record a wave and "review" it later - I think mucking around with IR will be useful for testing that.

I will put some information up when I getter a better idea of what I am doing

Mark

p.s. the manual assumes you know about scopes.....

No software needed for the IR on Junebug to be see by your scope, just attach the probe to the IR detectors output pin (it has a built in pullup)

The 30KHz should be an easy capture for any scope, it can be found on the PGC an PGD pins both male (the 2x5 ICD connector) and CON3 along the top of the Junebug.

My 'scope is 44 years old and has mostly vacuum tubes (valves) in it.
Your nice modern portable 'scope makes mine look like an antique.

Hi Bill,

Just grabbed PGD and I am getting figures between 28 and 32KHz (all over).

A little concerned I rerun my blinky program and get a solid frequency reading so in conclusion it is probably something I am doing wrong.

Noob question - by "Pullup" do you mean that the output of the IR is high when there is no output, and the signal is grounded when there is an output?

Thanks for the help guys!

Mark

Last edited:
UTMonkey said:
Hi Bill,

Just grabbed PGD and I am getting figures between 28 and 32KHz (all over).

A little concerned I rerun my blinky program and get a solid frequency reading so in conclusion it is probably something I am doing wrong.

Noob question - by "Pullup" do you mean that the output of the IR is high when there is no output?

Thanks for the help guys!

Mark

Hmm the 30KHz looks solid enough on mine. Might be the triggering mode, make sure it's only set for single channel.

Yes the IR detector has a 30k pullup built in and should show high when not receiving. In a normally lit room they still show lots of sporatic noise so try to keep it sheilded from ambient light.

Thanks Bill, I have checked and it is.

I think I just need to suss out how it all works, I am sure there is something I am missing - no biggie.

Hi.
I just checked the manual. Nice. Very nice. Every feature but a soda dispenser. Your wife has an eye for electronic bargains. So, what were your other choices?

An improper trigger level setting can cause a lot of "wiggle" in your readings. Also, digital scopes need to display all of the signal in the vertical and two or three waves in the horizontal to get enough samples to measure against.

Have fun!
Happy holidays!
kenjj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back