Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got a dead power supply for a G5 Imac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I have a dead power supply. They have one online for about $30us.

Do you think I should attempt a repair or just replace it?

kv

Edit: I also found a website that has all the voltages that pertain to that power supply. I have already ESR all the Caps and checked the fuse. Nothing burnt and such, I'm worried might be a Transformer or something costly.

Last edited:
I have a dead power supply. They have one online for about $30us.

Do you think I should attempt a repair or just replace it?

kv

Edit: I also found a website that has all the voltages that pertain to that power supply. I have already ESR all the Caps and checked the fuse. Nothing burnt and such, I'm worried might be a Transformer or something costly.

For that price just replace it.
I very much doubt a transformer failed. Often when there are no visible signs - something burnt, popped or leaking - the problem is often something small and stupid. :p That said, if you want to continue trying to repair, check the driver(s) and the controller chip.

It's often just a resistor that has gone open circuit, specially the higher value ones. Seen it happen a lot in SMPS.

For that price just replace it.
I very much doubt a transformer failed. Often when there are no visible signs - something burnt, popped or leaking - the problem is often something small and stupid. :p That said, if you want to continue trying to repair, check the driver(s) and the controller chip.

I think your right. Having the extra power supply on the ready might be a good idea, if I can fix this one.

I have 2 Computers that I will be repairing. One G5 is a little older and found out that their was a distributer that purchase some caps from a Chines company. They used the wrong mix to make the dielectric, it caused them to over heat and split. I got maybe about 20 on the mother board of the older one. But, luckily the newer one had different caps on it, that's the one I checked the ESR's on to see if the power supply was bad due to cap failure.

That's when I realized it wasn't going to be so "easy" :D

It's often just a resistor that has gone open circuit, specially the higher value ones. Seen it happen a lot in SMPS.

I think with that notion, I have found a guy who posted all the voltages it should have. Maybe I locate the source if it's producing something. But, it seems most likely it will be in shut down. I'm thinking it should be on the secondary side and that the primary isn't allowed to power up.

Either way it will be fun when I can get a chance to look at it. I'll let you guy's know what if anything I find out.

I think I hit the one that is not as complex as this one. Good job.

I think I'm feeling like I've got a method now after reading all the examples, if you include the ones I found. I don't think I will be ordering unless he has a corner on the market. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back