Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Google's april fool's joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one! Gave me a good laugh.

JimB

Ha! It made national news! (close...) :D

**broken link removed**

My wife pulled an April Fool joke on me Sunday. She called to say that her tire was flat and that she didn't know how to operate the car's jack and all that. So, I packed up the air tank, floorjack, tools, tire plug kit, and changed into my grubbies. Miles down the road I park next to her car and notice there's nothing wrong with any of the wheels and she's not around. She's sitting in a nearby restaurant ordering dinner, and laughingly says, "April Fool!" I didn't find it amusing, considering I was just falling alseep from a mid-afternoon nap and wasting costly fuel to run a 10 cylinder motor.

HiTech said:
and wasting costly fuel to run a 10 cylinder motor.

I'm trying to think of what has 10 cylinders:confused: You must drive a racecar or a tug boat:p

Andy1845c said:
I'm trying to think of what has 10 cylinders:confused: You must drive a racecar or a tug boat:p

Well you have your choice of one of the following three vehicles that employ a V10: (mine is the truck)
Now the motor that's shown is the truck version. The Viper has a prettier and much more snappy version. The bike's motor, well that's a viper motor modded for the bike.
And then there's Ford Triton V10 for their 3/4t and 1-ton trucks that is pale in performance to that of Daimler Chrysler's V10. Oh and by the way, the 8.0 liter (488cid) produces just 10 lb/ft less torque than the 5.9L Cummins diesel.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 274
  • viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 272
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 288
  • v10.jpg
    v10.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 288
Wow:eek: I didn't know you could get a dodge ram with 10 cylinders. Its a gas engine I take it? Whats the advantage of the extra cylinders? Does it give it a torque curve closer to that of a diesel? When it comes to power, i've always been partial to Caterpillars 6 cyl. diesels and to Mack fabled diesel V-8 that they offered in the Superliner trucks. (see my avator:D )

Perhaps you might have noticed that F1 cars used to have 10 cylinder engines?, they changed the rules the year before last so they could only use 8 instead (to supposedly make the cars slower).

This is why they should just completly get rid of real world auto sports and allow racing only in VR booths, that's the only way to make it a fair and even sport =)

Andy1845c said:
Wow:eek: I didn't know you could get a dodge ram with 10 cylinders. Its a gas engine I take it? Whats the advantage of the extra cylinders? Does it give it a torque curve closer to that of a diesel? When it comes to power, i've always been partial to Caterpillars 6 cyl. diesels and to Mack fabled diesel V-8 that they offered in the Superliner trucks. (see my avator:D )
The torque curve between the V10 and the Cummins is substantially different. The Cummins produces around 100lb/ft more at several hundred rmps less than the V10. It also maintains the high torque over a flat topped curve versus the V10 gasser's curve looking more like an arch. The Cummins diesel gets an avg fuel economy of 17-22mph versus the V10 miserable 8-14mpg. However when it comes to light trucks, the high cost of diesel fuel in addition to the extra $4000 for the motor, and higher cost maintenance intervals, the V10 wins hands down. The mathematics proves that unless you drive 33,000mi yearly, the diesel is an expensive proposition. Despite the fact that the diesel will outlast most any gas motor, the dealers still juke you on a trade. While the motor is still young at 250Kmi, the rest of the truck has that accumulated wear/tear, as well as them claiming that it's a specialized truck that requires a certain kind of customer, often making for the vehicle to sit on their lot longer. Of course when it comes down to it, they turn around and slap a high price on it and focus on the diesel option as the main selling point.
As for big trucks and heavy equip, I too have always favored CAT motors. Now if you wanna see the world's worst diesel engines, just look eastward at China Diesel. Total, miserable, gutless cr@p. China should stick to making Happy Meal toys!
There are alot of Dodge bashers in this world, but I will say this for Dodge, they teames up with two of the best automotive component companies in the entire world: Cummins Engines & Dana drives. BTW, MACK trucks are made in my home state in Macungie. If you ever get the chance to watch Made In America on the Travel Channel, they have an episode on the mack assembly line.

Last edited:
Andy1845c said:

Here's a brochure outlining a couple of models from another manufacturer using a V10 gasoline engine:

**broken link removed**

But that BMW V-10 is only 5.0 Liters and develops 383 lb/ft of torque at a whopping 6100 rpm. My V10 is slugging out 450 lb/ft at half of those rpms. Which piston would you rather be?

Both manufacturer's products have their pros and cons and I prefer not to argue the merits of one over another. Rather, I admire both as examples of good engineering. The main purpose was to inform andy1845c of V10s available. I wonder if he knows which new cars have only three cylinders, or only two? Or 16? Or for that matter, which ones have no cylinders at all?

HiTech said:
Well you have your choice of one of the following three vehicles that employ a V10: (mine is the truck)
Now the motor that's shown is the truck version. The Viper has a prettier and much more snappy version. The bike's motor, well that's a viper motor modded for the bike.
And then there's Ford Triton V10 for their 3/4t and 1-ton trucks that is pale in performance to that of Daimler Chrysler's V10. Oh and by the way, the 8.0 liter (488cid) produces just 10 lb/ft less torque than the 5.9L Cummins diesel.

I got to test drive a modded RACING Viper on a track....
Drool.... drool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back