Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Google and China

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernando_g

What do you think of China tampering with Google's servers, to access the e-mail accounts of human-rights leaders?

I think it's great they are pushing back.

Pushing back against China. Loosening the results censoring and pulling out if they can't reach an agreement.

I'm also very glad that they are pushing back against China.

However, and I hope that I'm wrong, I seriously doubt whether Google can hold on. Eventually the smell of lost profits will cause them to buckle.

We are actually in the point of no return....China is now waaaay too powerful economically, to be ignored.

But it's not, because they have devalued their money too much. As soon as the rest of the world stops manufacturing everything there, they're economy is going to completely collapse.

If they want to realize the economic power they have, they have to raise the value of their money, which will push manufacturers away, which is why they devalued it in the first place. They may have gotten themselves in a no-win (or very hard to win) scenario in the long term, just for the profits they are getting now.

What do you think of China tampering with Google's servers, to access the e-mail accounts of human-rights leaders?

Google Threatening To Leave China Over Hacking, Email Leak

Google disclosed in a blog post that it had detected a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China." Further investigation revealed that "a primary goal of the attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists," Google said in the post written by Chief Legal Officer David Drummond.

This is seriously a problem especially for these individuals who may or may not be targeted in a sweeping attack both inside and outside China.

targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China

This one is going to cost us in the long run. The knot is beginning to cinch.

kv

But it's not, because they have devalued their money too much. As soon as the rest of the world stops manufacturing everything there, they're economy is going to completely collapse.

Realistically, and without any sarcasm, do you really believe that will happen?
Have you attempted lately not to buy something "Made in China". It's an impossible task.

I know, in the long run, China will fall. No country, regardless of how mighty and powerful, lasts forever. However, for the short term (and by short term it means several decades) China has an iron grip on our collective b***s.

Well, if people would try harder not to be such blatent consumers, we wouldn't have as much of a problem. I'm so sick of people who ***** and ***** about the way of the world, and then do the exact thing which enables what they are bitching about.

Like here in Oregon. Everyone bitches about how bad the roads are all the time, but yet 1/3 of the population puts studded tires on their cars when we're lucky to get a couple inches of snow a year. As the saying goes, "Ignorance is bliss, damn the rest."

The only power we have as people is to choose where we cast our votes, and that means where we spend our money. It is more powerful than all the actual voting you could do.

I really wish there was no garbage pickup service, so people had to deal directly with how much crap they throw away.

Last edited:
However, and I hope that I'm wrong, I seriously doubt whether Google can hold on. Eventually the smell of lost profits will cause them to buckle.

Google can't afford to be wishy washy about this sort of thing, If they buckle without China doing something at least marginally passive and Google doesn't pull out it would dramatically affect my opinion of Google as a provider of services.

I think people over estimate China's actual power over the US or in the economy in general, if the entire country was walled off instantly China would be worse off than the rest of the world. Mind you American consumerism is out of control it's partially because the products are available in the first place that people consume them. We could stand to get an honest to goodness economic upheaval, this recession we're going through right now is really kid gloves compared to what we need to go through as a country to snap out of the tailspin we're in.

While not saying this to defend China or anything, it's not all the fault of China for our jobs going there. Having been forced into early retirement by the company I worked for "down sizing" to China.

When a foreign company comes to America to start manufacturing something, we(states/cities) fight over who can give the most to that company. Free buildings, new, not use of an existing one, free taxes, free utilities, free whatever they want!

When our companies go there to manufacturing, we build a new building and new machinery that is owned by that country, not the company!

Last edited:
I've read up on this a bit more.
**broken link removed**

The subscribers received a fake e-mail from a Gmail account purportedly from the publication but with an attachment that would take over their computers.
That part amazes me. It was entirly self wrought. Stupid people clicking on links before they validated the contents, can the email software of a modern 'hitech' company like this not even show what source IP an e-mail came from anymore and point out possible problems?

This bit of data from Sceds post is interesting which gives credence to some of the earlier post.

GR2010011304528.gif

When a foreign company comes to America to start manufacturing something, we(states/cities) fight over who can give the most to that company. Free buildings, new, not use of an existing one, free taxes, free utilities, free whatever they want!

When our companies go there to manufacturing, we build a new building and new machinery that is owned by that country, not the company!

And the real slap in the face is after the allotted time expires (say 10yrs. or so) the manufacturer closes shop and ends up moving off shore afterall. Or at best they drastically downsize their operation and outsource a percentage of their mfg. process offshore. It's quite rude and unthankful if you ask me. Americans should boycott doing any business with companies that pull that stunt.

While not saying this to defend China or anything, it's not all the fault of China for our jobs going there. Having been forced into early retirement by the company I worked for "down sizing" to China.

!

How true;
our company is selling product to China, but it was announced early this week that the company will build a factory there, because "they need to have local source to reduce shipping costs and delivery leadtimes". This bullbleep is amazing. How come the chinese can sell to the US and nobody complains about "shipping costs" or "delivery leadtimes"?

To me it's time to make things equal. If a country charges"X" amount of tariff to sell an American product in their country, America should charge the same amount of tariff to sell their product here.

When I say America I mean all "First" World countries. We are all in this together! Instead of bringing all Second and Third world countries up to "Our" standard of living, the trend seems to be to bring us down to their's.

If thats Protectionism, so be it! China's not going to protect us.

What is going to happen when all the production is in China and they rise prices to what ever they want to charge?

Now you just have to say that to people with the power and empathy to do something about it. That's the hard part.

But please, say something. Way too many complacent people in the world.

Shortbus, thing about that is with no tarrifs at all China will win because many other laws are so lax in the country they can churn out lead and cadmium filled toys all day long and people will snap them up like they're going out of style. Tarrifs are politically a bad idea right now, the people making the money want the big money that comes in from a free trade system, because they're on the winning end of things.

I found that particular bit upsetting myself, because of the massive recalls done on some of the lead based stuff coming out of a China, China is starting to not use lead... They're using cadmium instead. Pure stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back