Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Textbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moisff

Hey guys just wondering if anyone new of a pretty comprehensive and advanced textbook for designing electronics? There's only so much my uni notes can give me.

If anyone's got some good idea's then i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi Moisff
As soon as you say Comprehensive and Advanced, then I think that we need to discuss a specific specialization of electronics. You see, once you get past the basics, electronics splits into many many subcategories and specializations each with its own books. So there won't be one book that satisfies you, I think, unless you suggest a specialty subject. Such subjects might include:

- logic design with small and medium scale elements, sequential logic
- microcomputer architecture
- audio amplifiers and control functions
- interfacing analog to digital and back again
- analog design using op amps, discrete components, for audio and video processing
- rf amplifier, oscillator, mixer and other rf building blocks
- high power circuits for mains control, switching, monitoring
- automotive circuits for engine control, power management and other control and monitoring functions
- sensing and remote sensing
- radio transceivers
- wireline communications circuits, ethernet drivers, usb, and other communcations driver circuits
- and on and on

I hope you get the idea. There are many books with advanced information on each of these subjects and many more.

Perhaps you would like something with coverage of many electronics design principles but not so advanced or comprehensive, is this right?

I would agree with RadioRon in that the more I learn about electronics, the more I find out there is to learn. :) A truly comprehensive work would span many bookshelves.

That said, I would suggest "Art of Electronics", by Horowitz and Hill. It goes from basics through some quite advanced topics, walking through about as much as can be walked through in a book under 1500 pages (my edition is 1125 pages).

It's the best one I have myself. I still have to research a lot of stuff but it gives a lot of good fundamentals and practical examples and applications. It also includes several useful appendices.

Torben

The art of electronics is a great book to start of with and after doing it you need to look the net for 'advanced' electronics.A lot of sites offer methods to do certain things like all chipmakers have got application notes to finetune your circuits etc.

Hi,

Why not search on the web for online articles? There's a lot out there
these days, and you can always ask here too...for free :)
There are many people here happy to help.

Thanks guys, i'll definately look into the art of electronics book and the online articles is a good bit of advice

hey again missed a point there look learningelectronics.net it is a good site.Forgot before

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back