Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

good schematics software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I use ExpressSCH, but I need some IC that it does not have, like I/O processor 8255. How can I solve this? is there a better design software?

thanks

No matter what schematic capture system you use, you will have to make your own symbols sooner or later. Might as well learn how to do it now. I have ExpressSCH but have not made symbols for it. However, I think you just draw the symbol, then under "component" you will find "group to make symbol" and also " save custom symbol".

In the ExpressSCH "User's Manual and Online Help", u will find a topic named "Making Custom Schematic Components", where a detailed set of instructions is given. As given in the help, it would be faster to first select a component that matches your required component's construction and then edit it to make your own. Then you can save it for future use.

You could also try another software called "Protel 99 SE".

You could try CircuitMaker 2000 along with TraxMaker. CM2K Trial can be downloaded from their site for free. Be sure to get the password, too.

**broken link removed**

You can download eagle, it has schematic and PCB layout with autorouting and for the hobbyist/student it's free, you're just limited to 4"x3.2"

Ron

You could try Eagle but it is one of the toughest softwares to use. Atleast that's what I thought of it.

t_anjan said:
You could try Eagle but it is one of the toughest softwares to use. Atleast that's what I thought of it.

you should think again. Eagle is a very easy to use and user freindly software. if you have experience in working with windows softwares you could be up and running with Eagle in no time. there are lots of tutorials and example files for Eagle available on the internet. a great majority of students and hobbyists use Eagle for schematic and board layout.

now back to patroclus's question. i would agree with Russlk that no matter what software you use you will need to develop your own symbols some day. and believe me it isnt anything like rocket science! the help menu of your software will explain how to add symbols.

t_anjan said:

Eagle can be a little difficult at times I'll agree with you but the benifits far outweigh any trouble you might have, I have been using it for about 1 month now and I'm pretty good at it now, I had a bit of trouble making my own parts but now that I know how I can make one in about 5 minutes.

The autorouter is the best part, I took an existing board that I had made manually 5"x5" and I managed to shrink it down to 3"x2.5".

Ron

I agree that Eagle is very widely used, and numerous tutorials are available. I've also learnt to use Eagle. But I also found Protel very good and I could learn it faster. These are purely my thoughts. And I know a few others who feel the same. I heard that the new Protel's autorouter is very bad, which, allegedly, even the makers of Protel themselves admitted. But Protel 99 SE (the older version) seems to be very good.
Comments are welcome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back