Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Robot H-Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

For my *secret* robot I want to use a small very compact easy to build freeformable H-Bridge that can handle up to 1 amp at 9V. The robot it will be in will be *secret* hence I must be very *secretitive* about this *secret* project, codenamed *secret* robot. I will post the results of this *secret* robot and its *secret* specifications once I complete the *secret* robot. I would rather use the 2N2907A and the 2N2222A because I have over 100 of each that I got from my favorite supplier, which is *secret*. I would prefer the H-Bridge to have a *secret* device inside of it that would prevent me from smoking it, or what I *secretly* call the anti-smoke device, which name was reccently de-*secret*-itized.

I willl use my *secret* robot for the good of mankind :D

I dont know....

What company makes it? Does maxim make motor Drivers? I really like TI and Maxim :D

If your secret robot is so secret keep it secret and leave us all alone

blueroomelectronics said:
Try a SN754410 1.2A drivers, with diode clamps.
Didn't we sort this out already? I'd thought we'd come to the conclusion that you could get 2A per chip, and that diodes were not required (because they're included on the chip - but maybe that's what you meant)?

Krumlink, you need to loosen up and share your ideas for your walker robot. It's easy to be tempted into coveting ideas, for fear that someone might "steal" them (or accuse you of stealing them), but that fear has a false basis.

Strangely enough, you're much more likely to come up with an original idea the more you share it with others. Also, by posting your work and process on this forum, you can establish precedent for your ideas by way of witnesses should the originality of your project be called into question.

Think of sharing your ideas as a type of pre-emptive protyping. Everyone has their own perspective, so when you share ideas with other people there's an opportunity there for people to point out how things can fit together in a way you otherwise might not have thought about. That's a bonus, not a threat, to your inventions. I'm blown away by how many times the way around a seemingly insurmountable task for me has been elucidated by someone with a simple solution, just because they were able to see what I was trying to do from a different point of view. That's the benefit of collaboration, and that in turn is the virtue of getting along with other people: the sum of collective minds tends to be greater than the parts.

Last edited:
Might as well build something like the Parallax walking bot. It uses two servos and although it's designed for the BASIC Stamp any small micro should have no problem with a pair of servos. The key word is "micro" would be tricky to do it with discreet logic.
**broken link removed**

If I remember correctly, the 2N2222A will don't pass 800mA and the motor will draw a lot more than that when started.

You could parrallel a load of them using 0R5 emmitter ballancing resistors but you're better off using MOSFETs.

Try a SN754410 1.2A drivers, with diode clamps.

Good chip, but the diodes aren't needed(page 2 in datasheet).

I've used them before, and they can be stacked if the load is too high. Looks like they're 1.1A continuous.

Attachments

• 3177384.pdf
    107 KB · Views: 473
Might as well build something like the Parallax walking bot. It uses two servos and although it's designed for the BASIC Stamp any small micro should have no problem with a pair of servos. The key word is "micro" would be tricky to do it with discreet logic.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's a very good book, can be downloaded too.

THe ratings are 60ma no load, and 600ma stall at 6V. I am building this "style" of walker:

**broken link removed**

I have seen books saying to use the SN74AC245N Paralleled up to create H Bridge Drivers, but my motors wont work with these, so I was thinking of making this kind of H Bridge:

**broken link removed**

Only thing is that you remove the Schmitt Inverters on it. I will use the one above, beacuse it is easily free formable and easy to make.

Why do you want to build a H-Bridge from transistors when you can buy the SN754410A suggested by Bill?

I can only speak from my experiance. I have built the Miss Motor H-Bridge using 2N2222's and 2N2907 transistors. It is not a great preformer. The SN754410A transfers more power at a given voltage.

If you are going to use transistors at least use the ones I mentioned above. David Cook compares transators here. The ZTX ones are nice but spendy. Do not think they have samples.

I was going to use the 2N2222 and 2N2907s, because I got a ton of em.

If I going to do that project for sure I'm going to use that SN754410A driver.

I'm not using any TO92 type transistors to drive motors even to a STAND ALONE Robot.

Because I don’t like to burn those small transistors when power up & also when long time running.

Did you notice from your previous ROBOTS what’s happening after ROBOT sees an object? It starts to AVOID or to HIT the object so it will draw higher current than the ROBOT came in the FLAT field to turn left or right.Because a sudden stop & starting again needs a higher torque.

Last edited:
Krumlink said:
THe ratings are 60ma no load, and 600ma stall at 6V.
Assuming this is correct, your transistors are perfect for this application, just make sure you give them plenty of base drive current, thos Schmitt triggers might not be good enough.

Oops my bad, I was thinking of the wrong motors :)

They are 120ma no load, and 1 amp stall.

I think I am going to use the SSN754410A Motor Driver, it is an all in one easy to use motor driver that will be simple to hook up :D

Krumlink said:
I think I am going to use the SSN754410A Motor Driver, it is an all in one easy to use motor driver that will be simple to hook up :D

Hooray, yes I can see you coming to the dark side...
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back