Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Goings on in my front garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Yesterday evening I was watching TV, window open (which is a rare event in North East Scotland), when I heard a bit of a commotion outside.

To set the scene, just down the road from my house is an old mill pond and a pair of swans have set up a nest on the bank of the pond right next to the road.
In previous years, swans have nested on the other bank which is next to a park.

Back to the story, the commotion involved a lot of wing flapping, (a quite distinctive "whoomp" sound) so I looked outside to see this:
Swans 1.JPG

Hmmm...
Avian rumpy pumpy I thought, but no, there was lots of biting and violence involved,
and chasing around:
Swans 2.JPG

Ending up on the steps to my front door:
Swans 3.jpg

I finally realised that it was two male swans having a bit of a set-to.

Eventually the nest owner and winner of the contest gave up but did not have the smarts to work out how the get out of the garden and into the lane, so that he could get back to his nest.
Swans 4.JPG

At this point I went outside, armed with a sweeping brush, and goaded him in the direction of the gate which is about two or thee metres in front of him in the picture above.
Once in the lane, he headed back in the direction of his nest.

I now had to do the same with the loser of the contest who had taken up a position at the top of the steps right by the front door.
After more goading with the sweeping brush, he was persuades to go out into the lane.
He eventually turned the opposite way and went around into the park.
A few minutes later he took off and flew away, leaving JimB the task of cleaning up all the bird crap which was adorning the front steps. Yuk!

Post script.
As I was going out to the shop this morning, I noticed that the female swan was carefully turning 3 or 4 eggs in the nest.

JimB

I ignore whether this is coincidental, but during this virus lock down, there have been many reports from around the world where wildlife sightings have become common.

Or shall I say, more often than previously.

Swans on the mill pond here is quite usual.
Over the years many new cygnets have hatched out and grown up and flown away.

What is unusual is where they have decided to locate their nest, by the side of the lane.
The only traffic in the lane is from 6 or 7 houses, and the farmer in his tractor on his way to the barn and fields at the end of the lane.

JimB

Since I moved here, four years ago, this bird is in position every day, early in the morning, probably supervising his flock when assigning the daily activities...or so I guess.

20200403_181718.jpg

But, two weeks ago, I commented to my daughter that now he comes quite often along the day and a huge number of birds of varieties not seen before, come to the backyard or the front garden. When they see me, most remain calmly doing their thing.

While I do know very little of birds in general, I noticed one big pigeon and even one of this type, known for eating carrion in the country side, but not around here.

carancho.jpg

Just in case, I took the habit of keeping all windows closed while waiting for the arrival of Tippi Hedren.

Last edited:
The Queen should have your head. The swans are Her property and you have no right to disturb them!

I'm going to tattle on you! E

The Queen should have your head. The swans are Her property and you have no right to disturb them!

Well, what can I say?

Imagine if you will, the following scene,
Two swans creating merry hell in my front garden,
JimB on the telephone to assorted royal palaces etc, asking for advice as to the best way to resolve the situation.
Various assistants to the royal household hesitating with vague advice and transferring my call to another hapless colleague.
Eventually a voice is heard in the background, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, "Just tell him to chase the bally things with a yard brush and have done with it!"

JimB

If anyone is interested, here is a picture which I took this afternoon.

Swans and cygnets.JPG

Swans and cygnets, I counted eight of them but there may be a couple more hiding under their mother.

JimB

Last edited:
Did you forget to post it?.
I had just returned from a fortnightly shop at the supermarket and it is rather hot here today, my brain is fried.

Better picture now?

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back