Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Going to buy used car - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I will soon be moving out of the hell hole that is New York state and going to another state. This will partially mean getting a car after I move! Whoopie! Thanks to an error on the part of Social Security, I should soon be coming into about $30,000, of which $10,000 is going to be used to (among other things) buy a car. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking online for what the area has, and there are a few nice VW's and the like, but I want opinions :D

First hint: Taxes. Most states want to collect a "use tax" (equal to the sales tax) if you import a car into that state. If you buy a car in NY and take it (for example) to CA they will each want about 8%. Generally best to buy the car where you intend to register it.

Whatever you do, keep your wallet in your pocket. (don't be eager to spend nor give in to sale pitches). Surf online about used car buying tips so you have some awareness of the tactics used. Once you find a vehicle you like, check the Kelly Blue Book (online) for values to see if it's priced reasonable. You can also do a CarFax.com for a small fee. But you can also get a freebie report by visiting a dealer who normally carries that make and brand. For example, if it's a VW, find a VW dealer, go to the Service Dept. with the VIN number of the car. They should be able to call up all repairs performed on it provided they are part of the data network of that manufacturer.

Invest in junk bonds!!!!!

JK. :)

Well, since you're gonna fork over 10K for a used car, why don't you just buy a new car? You can get a decent 4 cylinder, 2.0 L nissan sentra for under 15K is you shop for a demo car like I did.

10K for a used car isnt worth it. You'll just buy someone else's headache. for a few more grand you can buy a new car or get it financed but with a down payment, that'll reduce your interest rate and monthly payments.

Never buy a used sports car, unless you know an awful lot about it and automotive things in general. That advice is not only common sense, but is endorsed by Car Talk. John

Do the math along the way and you'll quickly learn if purchasing new is the route to take. If a warranty of 100Kmi or 10yrs. bumper to bumper is provided by the factory, it may be worth it. Then again new vehicles depreciate substantially as soon as you drive it off the lot! Cars that are 2 yrs old offer a balanced return for your dollars. You can also purchase aftermarket repair insurance in various levels of coverage.

Invest in junk bonds!!!!!

JK. :)

Well, since you're gonna fork over 10K for a used car, why don't you just buy a new car? You can get a decent 4 cylinder, 2.0 L nissan sentra for under 15K is you shop for a demo car like I did.

10K for a used car isnt worth it. You'll just buy someone else's headache. for a few more grand you can buy a new car or get it financed but with a down payment, that'll reduce your interest rate and monthly payments.

this is because when you buy a new car and drive it off the lot it looses 10000$ in value why not just buy last years model

Last edited:
Well, I will soon be moving out of the hell hole that is New York state and going to another state. This will partially mean getting a car after I move! Whoopie! Thanks to an error on the part of Social Security, I should soon be coming into about $30,000, of which $10,000 is going to be used to (among other things) buy a car. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking online for what the area has, and there are a few nice VW's and the like, but I want opinions :D

with gas prices being were they are now i think you should buy a bike. its about 3.50 for the highest grade of gas. and 3.25 of the lowest.

Last edited:
If you do not need a neat car to impress girls or boost you self image I have a suggestion. You can save a lot of money by purchasing an unpopular car. Do not pick one that is unpopular because it is a mechanically bad design. Pick one that is unpopular because of styling. In the past I have purchased a 15 year old car with 60K miles on it for $400 and and a 7 year old one owner car with just under 70K miles for $2400. The first car needed a new radiator and the second was in excellent condition. Both were little old lady cars, they were in nearly new condition. Advoid the car if it the owner did not know oil required periodic replacement. :) A car serviced by a dealership is a good choice.

You do not have to purchase cars as old as this to get savings, but they will not be as great.

Most used cars have problems. You can get lucky, but don't expect everything to still be in good order. Even if you buy off a lot, from a dealer, you can expect problems. Use cars are great if you have the tools, the time, and a little know-how. Otherwise they may not be your best option.

Anyway, check the fluids for colors and odors. Transmission fluid is usually red, and doesn't get discolored over time, unless there are problems. Engine oil varies, fresh it's sort of amber, then goes to brown, then black... If it's black and thick, anticipate engine problems in the near future. Might also notice a rusty color, the odor of some additives, or even water/foam/froth, which might be a good reason to pass on this car. Radiator coolant usually green antifreeze, but can be different. Might be just plain water. A rusty color, or stuff floating around might not be a good thing. While under the hood, look for drips and rust stains. Look around and see if there are clean new parts, compared to the rest of the engine. Look for tool marks on nuts and bolts. Give you some idea if it's been taken care of, new parts are better then junkyard specials. Leave the hood up, and start the engine. Listen for unusual noises (turn the radio off!). Turn the wheels to on side, far as they go. Get out of the car, and look at the backside of the front tires, look at the brakes/rotor. Should be consistent wear on the tires, if not, might need some front end work, which I consider 'shop' work, usually need special tools. Rotor and brakes, look for wear and grooves in the rotor, how do the pads look?
Go back up to the engine compartment, look and listen some more, take your time, give it a chance to warm up some. Okay, now get in and back the car up about 5 or 6 feet, park, get out and look where it was parked. See any shiny spots, from leaking fluids?
Still interested? Take it for a test drive, pay attention to noises, vibrations, loss of power. Get onto a road where you can get up some speed, you want to make sure the transmission is running through the gears. After you've driven it, and all still is good, pop the hood again for another quick look. Should be a little hot under there, but not scorchingly high.

After all that, and nothing makes you wonder if this is a bad deal, it'll probably do for a while.

So far, the newest car I've ever owned, was 12 years old. I do almost all of my own repairs and maintenance. My youngest brother is into mechanical stuff, like I'm into electronics, so I get plenty of help on the more difficult stuff, but rarely need to ask.

If it has air conditioning, have it checked for leaks, particularly if it is more than a couple of years old. A common practice is to top off with refrigerant before sale.

:confused:What else is a car good for?

Be sure it has a functional back seat. ;)

John

Last edited:
this is because when you buy a new car and drive it off the lot it looses 10000$ in value why not just buy last years model
That's exaggerated -- they don't lose that much... even the Kelly Blue Book and NADA sites will disprove that. Now if you bought a spanking new Ford Excursion SUV with current fuel prices being what they are, you may lose a hefty bundle from depreciation.

If you do some looking you can find cars driven by automaker management types and engineers. They tend to be nice almost new cars with good maintance and low miles. Mostly the get the bugs worked out.

Stay away from the cars sold of by car rental places.

If you do some looking you can find cars driven by automaker management types and engineers. They tend to be nice almost new cars with good maintance and low miles. Mostly the get the bugs worked out.

Stay away from the cars sold of by car rental places.

You'd be surprised how many people rent cars, just to beat the hell out of them. Don't think they spend as much time/money on maintaining them, as they do cleaning the puke out of them...

It would be interesting to see the stats on the condition of rental cars versus reposessed cars!!

It would be interesting to see the stats on the condition of rental cars versus reposessed cars!!

Probably not much different. I think most people know for months, if not right from the beginning, that they are going to lose the car. They don't care that they are responsible for the difference between what they owe, and what the dealer sells it for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back