Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Going green , seeing red

Which would you have build ?

• One Solar Power Tower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200 Wind Turbines

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mad Professor

Renewable energy is here to stay, but which would you prefer to be built near you?

Two hundred wind turbines or a one Kilometer high solar tower ?

Actually, we ARE having wind turbines built right next to us. Man, do they look cool. They are HUGE too! :) They don't take up much land, and they are REALLY easy to be built, and they get built FAST! The closest one is about 1 mile from us. We can look out our windows to the west, and see most of them. :cool:

I voted wind turbines.

I'd vote solar tower, but only because I've never seen one and want to see what a 1km high tower would look like.

Solar tower, even though there probably isn't enough sunshine where I live for it to work.

the newer generation (pun semi intended) of wind turbines are quite a bit quieter. So the noise NIMBY argument is going away. gotta deal with orniphiles next by mounting them higher. While wind isn't 100% reliable, it's a great resource. for us northerners, wind is far more reliable than sun...

a few years ago I spent a month driving around spain - it was very cool to see the turbines on distant ridge-lines.

Yes. It is very rare not to have some type of wind here. We live in the planes. No hills, and an the middle of a farming region. So there are large fields, with no trees. Sure we have TONS of forests, but most is flat lands. The wind turbines have breaks on them, so they only go one speed. They are REALLY cool to see them being built, too. Good clean power, and they take up VERY little land. :)

I will go solar as a hurricane is on the way here, that would get the turbines a turning. Together would be a good combo, if there is winds at night, or no wind in the daytime.

Well considering 1 80 watt panel cost any where between $600-$800 each where you could make several wind generators with 10 times the output of 1 solar panel for the same money. Now I have 14 solar panels on the roof of my house and for 9 months of year they keep the batteries pretty well charged and there is 4 people in my family. On my shed I have 8 solar panels feeding one battery bank and 1 80 watt panel feeding a bank of nife batteries. I'm in the process of making a wind genny for a huge cost of about $200. I expect the output will be on average about 300 watts. Also with a wind generator as long as the wind is blowing it is making power so that power has to go somewhere namely a dumpload which could be heating water etc.
This so-called poll is in my view a complete waste of forum bandwidth and should read which way would you go solar or wind or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back