Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Global Receiver Transmitter Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys,

I've been searching a receiver transmitter module which utilizes SIM cards so that we can get access anywhere. I'm building a probe which is going to be far away from me for surveillance work, but the normal RC modules go only to about 100 metres.

What are the part IDs for such a module?
Thanks

Global Receiver Transmitter Module?????
OK how far? really how far?
I have run 100,000 watt transmitters and I have a friend that runs 5,000,000 watt transmitters and he can not reach "global".
Make a new plan. "Internet" "cel phone"

Global Receiver Transmitter Module?????
OK how far? really how far?
I have run 100,000 watt transmitters and I have a friend that runs 5,000,000 watt transmitters and he can not reach "global".
Make a new plan. "Internet" "cel phone"

I'm picking up cynical vibes here... but I understand. the title is to gain your attention anyways.. so 'global' means like using a handphone?!!
There are such modules like the ones you have in your handphones. This means you don't need the transmitter to be HIGH power, but just accesses the satellites like a customer, hence the usage of SIM cards.
My question is only do you guys have a list of part ID of such modules? Unless I'm mistaken, then I'll just need to hack a handphone then?!!

Hi guys,

I've been searching a receiver transmitter module which utilizes SIM cards so that we can get access anywhere. I'm building a probe which is going to be far away from me for surveillance work, but the normal RC modules go only to about 100 metres.

What are the part IDs for such a module?
Thanks

What you need is often referred to as an Embedded Module for GSM (for example). This example is the core of a GSM phone, only on a small circuit board and supporting some sort of data interface. Since there are more than one cellphone standard in the world, it is necessary to choose carefully, and in your case a simple GSM module that supports GPRS might be fine. Data over GSM systems has come a long way and so there are many data formats available including HSUPA and HSDPA which are designed for broadband (ie. lots and lots of data transfer), and GPRS and EDGE, which are slower but better suited to low bandwdith applications. These slower standards are supported in most parts of the world.

There are many suppliers for such things. Be careful to use one that has the right frequency bands for your service area. North America uses different frequency bands than Europe and Asia. I think Quad band units will solve that problem. Anyway, Here are some examples:

SparkFun Electronics - GM862 Cellular Quad Band Module
GSM module
**broken link removed**
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/08/g20_brochure.pdf

These are just examples,there are many more. One thing to be aware of in the cellphone world is that the best choice of embedded module is one that is already certified and approved for use with the carriers in your service area and with the regulatory agencies in the countries you want to operate in. The best modules include such approvals and certifications already.

Cost wise you might be better off using an off the shelf cellphone with modem connection through its USB or bottom connector.

If you are truely talking about satellite phone the same applies only more expensive. The old Iridium system is still commercial. You may have heard of them in the news a few months back when one of their satellites collided with a defunct Russian satellite.

Last edited:
Well I'm not into satellite phone. Truth is I'm building a mobile probe like an RC car, but instead moves around like a Mars Rover and transmits back certain details of its surrounding, while I control it comfortably via a GUI from a laptop, me in a cushioned seat with a cup of coffee on my right hand. Like playing an RPG game, but better.

Well thanksalot guys.. I'm gonna explore those modules rightaway. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back