Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GLCD controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

HI

After mirroring the pins for my LCD (and destroying it) I have found a GLCD (think its 64*256) It has a HD61830 controller.. Is this the "standard" one, like HD44780 for alphanumeric LCD?

Also what compiler do you guys recommend for 18F series

I have found a GLCD (think its 64*256) It has a HD61830 controller.. Is this the "standard" one, like HD44780 for alphanumeric LCD?
As far as I know there is no "standard" controller for GLCDs, as there is for character LCDs. They seem to be all over the map.

Also what compiler do you guys recommend for 18F series
I prefer BoostC by SourceBoost. Full featured and very affordable. I use it for all 16F and 18F parts, and even some 12F's.

Futz: do you know if there is any similarity between the differnet drivers. I mean in commandsets. So i can use libs that are made already?

Hi,

Many of the modern glcds have very similar software control methods but I doubt high level libs will allow you to use more than the one specified glcd.

The controller you have is a 8 bit parallel port type, many of todays modern glcds use SPI ports etc so saving many i/o ports - they also typically run at 3.3v

The old KS0108 with its dual controller is still very popular as its well covered in software terms and still uses 5v.

You could spend weeks getting the one you have to run, but if it fails can you get a replacement ?
Think you would be better choosing a newer type of glcd that you can get the software for that will allow you to buy a replacement if needed.

Have a search for Atomsofts work on glds with C etc and this thread for Assembler versions.

Microcontrollers

Nice to know my work is usefull :D

Proteus Doesnt have a sim model for that LCD so i wouldnt be able to help you if needed really since i cant test it out.

These are more standard controllers for GLCDs:

SED1520
KS0108
SED1565

Futz: do you know if there is any similarity between the differnet drivers. I mean in commandsets. So i can use libs that are made already?
As I always say, you don't learn nuthin using libs. Write your own. :D

But if you're in business and have to produce quickly and don't care to know the details, then use libs for sure.

Ok Well Im trying this to learn :) so i guess I will be making my own lib them :D

Ill use glcd lib (or similar to see)...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back