Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GLCD Connector Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

I just received my 128x64 GLCD module and I can't figure out which connector I should put on it, the 20 pin SIP female or male. I'm thinking the female connector is probably more expensive so it should go on the display which would then allow me to install the less expensive male SIP connectors on a few different project boards.

What do you guys think? Is there a 'convention' of any sort that suggests which type of connector should be used on the display?

Mike

Mike said:
I just received my 128x64 GLCD module and I can't figure out which connector I should put on it, the 20 pin SIP female or male. I'm thinking the female connector is probably more expensive so it should go on the display which would then allow me to install the less expensive male SIP connectors on a few different project boards.

What do you guys think? Is there a 'convention' of any sort that suggests which type of connector should be used on the display?

Mike
Well I would be biased towards using a male SIP connector for the GLCD module.

It would allow direct connection to a solderless breadboard. Also being male the connecting female when unplugged wouldn't be subject to shorting to other things.

Probably 6 and half dozen type choice that doesn't have a 'correct' answer
;)

Lefty

I would always go with male (pin header) on the LCD itself. I have seen both many times....but as suggested male allows it to be plugged into a breadboard.

Or, connect and IDC cable connector to it (just use one row of the double row'd ones). I got about 30 small graphic and character LCD's, all with pin headers on them.....please don't make me look stupid :D

BT

8" 20-way Ribbon cable soldered directly to GLCD module.

Female IDC plug crimped onto the other end.

Male IDC socket on circuit board(s), no chance of wrong connection as they are polarized.

A separate IDC socket adapter made with flying leads just for use on the breadboard.

I've always put the male header on the LCD, and I think this is because my first LCD was a serial one, and that is the way IT came.

You do have a very good point, though. It may end up a lot cheaper, but then you will want to do all of your LCDs that way, as well as all of your boards.

I think I will stay with the convention I'm using, although you did get me to think about another way. :)

I put the female on my first LCD to save money.

I ended up replacing it with a male so it could be used on a breadboard.

Most of the time I end up putting some sort of adaptor board between the display and the processor. With the inexpensive displays I solder the display to the adaptor with a pin header.

The problem with soldering wires on 'direct' is the same problem wires always have. They break. And you can only solder to a board (LCD) so many times before pads get lifted. Of course, hot glue could fix that, but its messy and look unprofessional. Don't get me wrong, ribbon cable rocks, but for its strickly for IDC sockets.

I would concur with male on LCD, and female on board.

Or you could use my Molex technique from the tutorials - with male sockets on both ends, and a female to female plug lead to connect the two - this obviously gives you more mounting options as well.

Male on LCD and female on board.

If you accidentaly drop something metal (i.e. a component) on the PCB pins then you have a chance of shorting it out. If its a female connector on the part that supplies the power and signals its a lot safer.

Interestingly, I purchased a little Microelectronica 4-bit LCD adapter board ($8 USD) in order to simplify the connection between PIC projects and 2x16 or 4x20 character LCD displays. This adapter (below) would require female connectors on my displays so it seems there really is no "standard" to speak of.

**broken link removed**

Well there's no 'standard', but that doesn't prove it, as it's probably designed to solder directly to the holes in the LCD's PCB, and not plug in to a socket.

It's a bit like a PCB version of my tutorial LCD board :D

Nice little idea though!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back