Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Giving away the secrets of electronics?

Flyback

Hi,
I have been fixing up a bog standard couple of hard switched converters for a customer.
Its bare basic , “electrician level” electronics, but tomorrow, I am being taken to their customer, to answer questions about “giving away secrets”…in relation to these bog standard hard switched converters.
I have never given away real secrets about anything……and these circuits that I have been working on are literally "electrician level" SMPS designs……the sort of thing you get demo boards on for a couple of quid. The sort of thing that App notes talk about in droves.
The sort of schems that are strewn all over the internet.
They are the sorts of SMPS that a 14 year old could design. It’s the simplest level of electronics….no more secret than an electricians knowledge.

It’s the knowledge of SMPS, that got outsourced to the Pacific Rim years ago…….as if there are secrets in this?.....secrets no way. If it was secret, why all SMPS work is outsourced to the Pacific Rim? They blame people like me for the fact that China is a million miles ahead of the west in SMPS design. Its the west's own fault...for outsourcing massive amounts of SMPS work to the Far East.

Has anybody else ever been to one of these inquests? What happens?
Modify message

Last edited:

Papabravo

It was the same for disk drives in the 1980's. We had embedded servo technology and the rest of the world did not. They can ask all the questions they want, but as you say you are in no real position to answer them. Just go along for the ride and deflect. You might ask a few questions of your own about where they are getting their information, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tony Stewart

Most Helpful Member
Hi,
I have been fixing up a bog standard couple of hard switched converters for a customer.
Its bare basic , “electrician level” electronics, but tomorrow, I am being taken to their customer, to answer questions about “giving away secrets”…in relation to these bog standard hard switched converters.
I have never given away real secrets about anything……and these circuits that I have been working on are literally "electrician level" SMPS designs……the sort of thing you get demo boards on for a couple of quid. The sort of thing that App notes talk about in droves.
The sort of schems that are strewn all over the internet.
They are the sorts of SMPS that a 14 year old could design. It’s the simplest level of electronics….no more secret than an electricians knowledge.

It’s the knowledge of SMPS, that got outsourced to the Pacific Rim years ago…….as if there are secrets in this?.....secrets no way. If it was secret, why all SMPS work is outsourced to the Pacific Rim? They blame people like me for the fact that China is a million miles ahead of the west in SMPS design. Its the west's own fault...for outsourcing massive amounts of SMPS work to the Far East.

Has anybody else ever been to one of these inquests? What happens?
Modify message
The Japanese (Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Toshiba) have far higher quality power supplies than the Chinese. In Canada in the 70'80's the likes of Hammond , Brown and others were pioneers of SMPS as well as many others pioneered the technology in USA and worldwide. The Chinese just mastered the low labour rates and cost-reductions with volumes of local parts with clever packaging. The Chinese also have more engineers than the ROTW.

Last edited:

Tony Stewart

Most Helpful Member
The "secret" in this Fourier Analysis is that the fundamental sine peak is 27% higher inside as a component of the white square wave peak but the red square wave has residual harmonics shown here are a result of removing harmonics by the equivalent of a a "brick wall" LPF to 11*f and not by adding harmonic energy.
1669570681840.png

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips