Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Giant Capacitors. Where do I find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

I am currently interested in getting as large as a capacitor as possible and I would like to know what devices I should be looking in to find high-capacitance and high-voltage capacitors. as of right now, the best capacitors I haver are 2 200V 330uF camera flash capacitors and a 6800 uF capacitor rated at 35 V that I randomly found out of a particularly tempermental Inkjet printer.

My goal for all of these capacitors is to hook them up in parallel, charge them with as many 9V batteries as possible, and try to melt a hole through a dime from the massive discharge of the capacitors. if at all possible, I would like to exceed 1 Farad at at least 50 V.

anyway, I need to generate as many sparks as possible, and I would need to get my capacitors from a cheap source (i.e. monitors at thrift stores)

Your going to need a LLLOOOTTT of caps.

60 000 uF to 60V makes big and loud sparks and makes a hole about 0,5 mm in a coin.

Meaby if you look at an surplus store.

You may also need more than 50V to discharge those caps fast enugh.Or it will vaporise the metal that is cnotacting and break the circuit.

There are easyer ways of making holes in coins,

Halogrunt1234 said:
I am currently interested in getting as large as a capacitor as possible and I would like to know what devices I should be looking in to find high-capacitance and high-voltage capacitors. as of right now, the best capacitors I haver are 2 200V 330uF camera flash capacitors and a 6800 uF capacitor rated at 35 V that I randomly found out of a particularly tempermental Inkjet printer.

My goal for all of these capacitors is to hook them up in parallel, charge them with as many 9V batteries as possible, and try to melt a hole through a dime from the massive discharge of the capacitors. if at all possible, I would like to exceed 1 Farad at at least 50 V.

anyway, I need to generate as many sparks as possible, and I would need to get my capacitors from a cheap source (i.e. monitors at thrift stores)

If you had 1Farad at 50V (very hard to do but not impossible) you are only storing 1250 Joules of energy with that, I seriously doubt that is anywhere near the amount you'll have to get onto that dime to put a whole in it considering all the losses you'll have in your discharge path.

My suggestion is to really consider how much work you are going to need to go through to put an unimpressive hole in a dime.

Optikon said:
My suggestion is to really consider how much work you are going to need to go through to put an unimpressive hole in a dime.

Get a 12V car battery and two very thick wires :lol:

Make sure to perform the experiment near a hospital with a good emergency unit!.

Optikon said:
If you had 1Farad at 50V (very hard to do but not impossible) you are only storing 1250 Joules of energy with that

This is true. In order to get a lot of enegy from a capacitor bank, the voltage is more important. It is also important that you can get the bank to discharge with a great amount of current. I have allready posted a website with high voltage projects, there is also a "destructotron"(or something)

E=(V^2 * C) / 2

Joule energy (HEAT):

E=V * I * t

The link for the Destruc-o-tron

The current delivery capability of the caps is important. In this aspect many parallel caps is usually much better than using fewer but bigger caps to get the same capacitance.

There are many people who have build dischargers- usually much higher voltage- that will blow up apples and things. In this case they have 2 electrodes, one of which is tied directly to the cap bank and the other through some form of interrupter before being tied to the other end of the bank.

But the truly incredible discharger is the Quarter Crusher. It uses a heavy coil and does not touch the quarter directly. The discharge creates such a fast-changing intense magnetic field that it crushes it into a smaller piece. The coil is destroyed in the process.

It requires a huge amount of energy storage and some very high end capacitors. Lesser quality caps may only survive a few bursts. It's an expensive and huge rig.

i have few brand new nichicon caps. each is 3900uF/400V and with
large screw terminals. what should i do with them? maybe a toy coil gun...?

they are about 3" diameter and about 5" long and have nice strap as a mounting bracket. they ware intended for VFDs. guy in local repair shop
didn't know what to do with them as his shop was overstocking them. i offered to find good home for couple of them before they end up
in a garbage.
they look like this (picture doesn't show strap):
**broken link removed**

I didn't have Laško but he accepted Heineken.

panic mode said:
they are about 3" diameter and about 5" long and have nice strap as a mounting bracket. they ware intended for VFDs. guy in local repair shop
didn't know what to do with them as his shop was overstocking them. i offered to find good home for couple of them before they end up
in a garbage.
they look like this (picture doesn't show strap):
**broken link removed**

I didn't have Laško but he accepted Heineken.

Nice looking cap. I`ve got some ancient 120mF/15Vcaps

Every beer is better than no beer. :wink:

Attachments

• cap_807.jpg
    cap_807.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,287
ok...

how about if i just wanted to simply shock a hole through a dime, with or without capacitors? I'm also working on electrolysis of water... how many 9V batteries hooked in series do you think it would take for me to do some major electrolysis, to the point where I can light a flame over the water and burn hydrogen? Im at 16 batteries, and still adding more...

Hidrogen dose not burn it explodes violenty.

You might try an thing caled termite.Its an mixture of iron oxide (Rust in idiont languge) and aluminium powder.Wen ignited it develops about 2500 C° wich is enugh to melt a hole in a peny.

Its so hot it makes ice explode.

To get best results you have to catch the right ratio betwen rust and aluminium.

Someone Electro said:
You might try an thing caled termite.Its an mixture of iron oxide (Rust in idiont languge) and aluminium powder.Wen ignited it develops about 2500 C° wich is enugh to melt a hole in a peny.

It's actually "thermite" :lol: a termite is an insect that eats houses in America 8)

They've been using Thermite on the UK TV show Brainiacs, very impress stuff!.

Remembering back to my school days, a mixture of aluminum powder and powdered iodine works very well also! - they both need to be ground very finely, and kept COMPLETELY dry - add a drop of water and it starts the reaction, producing huge amounts of heat (that will melt various metals) and massive clouds of thick purple smoke :lol:

Someone Electro said:
Hidrogen dose not burn it explodes violenty.

Its so hot it makes ice explode.

To get best results you have to catch the right ratio betwen rust and aluminium.

all an explosion is, is something that burns fast.
Thermite is great but the problem is it is a ***** to get started. I have only ever been able to start it off with magnesium ribbon

Styx said:
Thermite is great but the problem is it is a ***** to get started. I have only ever been able to start it off with magnesium ribbon

That's the advantage of the iodine and aluminium, it only needs a drop of water 8)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Remembering back to my school days, a mixture of aluminum powder and powdered iodine works very well also! - they both need to be ground very finely, and kept COMPLETELY dry - add a drop of water and it starts the reaction, producing huge amounts of heat (that will melt various metals) and massive clouds of thick purple smoke :lol:
I also did something with iodine when I was young. Its reaction was the reverse. It expoloded when it became dry. Dangerous stuff! :lol:

I realize that I'm basically reviving this very old thread but if your goal is to melt a hole in something you might want to check this out:
. It's from a lock picking channel but what he does is pretty amazing. He pulls a step-up transformer out of a microwave and puts just one coil in the one side, stepping it down to a low voltage but a massive amount of current.
I'd say you'd want to be careful or not try this at all...but it would melt a dime.

Blimey - really old thread revival !

I've got a couple of Maxwell 16V 500F ultracapacitors connected in parallel - impressive 14kA output short circuit .....

You can start a car engine a few times with not a lot of voltage drop either .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back