Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting really silly now

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

So, lets go back to June, when I got a second hand laptop, I backed up the win7 ultimate that the supplier had installed on it, wiped the hard drive and installed Arch linux. So far so good. The intention always was to restore the image to a virtual machine.

So, today I finally got around to it. First off, VMware. Problems with that, gave up, tried qemu. Took me half the day to find out how to give the vm a second virtual optical drive, since it has to boot from a cd and restore from a dvd (would be a set in real life - I made an iso out of a back up to another computer's hd) after I failed to get it to recognise a samba share (which accounted for the other half of today).

So I had this big YES! moment when I could actually start restoring to the vm.

Only, my joy was very short lived, when the restore program gave a message about not being able to find the path...

Apparently.... well, apparently (I say that to the dog, gets his attention hen, well, when I've already got it really. But I digress) apparently I should have "generalised" the windows installation BEFORE I did the backup. Restoring to anything other than the whole disk won't work without that.

Huge, disparaged *_sigh_*, only equal in proportion to my big YES! So now I have to copy / and /home to somewhere, restore windows, generalise it, back it up again, wipe the disk again, put / and /home back, and then I should be able to restore to a vm as intended.

Sucks massively.

... Sucks massively.
I'd be willing to bet that one of the first abacus users muttered those exact words (in Mandarin, or something) when he accidentally shoved all the little round rings back to the "zero" position - before noticing the answer...

Oh my! I have genuine tears of laughter in my eyes now. Thanks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back