Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_p_92505

When I was a lot younger electronics was a big hobby of mine. We didn't have the internet back then but we did have radio shacks everywhere and they had a decent selections of components. If you all of a sudden needed a 5 amp bridge rectifier and some 1/2 watt resisters it was just a quick trip away. I don't have a radio shack within a 100 miles of me anymore and I don't even know if they stock those things anymore, their website sure has a poor selection. I came across an online retailer recently that sold stuff in small quantities however their shipping charges were unreasonable. So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good online store where one can get various IC's, and discrete components without having to buy a case at a time and with shipping charges that don't run 10 times the price of your purchase?

Digikey, Mouser, Jameco to name three off the top of my head.
They generally have minimum orders around the 25 dollar range but this is perfectly normal for any online website, just start a list of stuff you need till you hit the minimum order so you don't get gouged on shipping. Between those three sites there are very few things that you can't find.

You forgot to fill in your location in your profile so we don't know which planet you are on or which country you are in. Then we can't recommend a good electronics parts shop.

Here in Canada RadioShack is gone. I buy top quality parts online from Digikey and Newark. Even though they are American companies if I order before 8:00PM then it is delivered the next morning.

I use Allied Electronics, there is a $5.00 handling fee if under $25 + the shipping. Allied Electronics They usually ship from Texas.
Often you can email a company or manufacturer and ask for samples.
Kinarfi

Last edited:
Thank you Sceadwian, Audioguru and Kkinarfi.

I used to live in Southern California where the freeways would quickly take you to where you could find anything and everything you would ever want. One day I woke up and found myself living in a little red-neck town almost equal distance between Kansas City and St. Louis. I’m almost 200 miles from a city with a major airport which is how I define civilization. So if Wal-Mart don’t have it I use the internet. It’s like a bad dream I can’t wake up from.

Click, Click, Click. “There’s no place like home”, “There’s no place like home’,…

Last edited:
I find eBay to be a god send for electronics bits. I do tend to buy in larger quantities if I can though as it's real cheap. I buy LED's, resistors, caps, packs of various IC's and many other bits and bobs. My last purchase was for mild steel bars in 5 & 15mm diameters along with some magnets for a bedini type setup I'm planning :)

I was really surprised to be honest to find such stuff on ebay when I first signed up as buyer, however since purchasing over £400 worth of stuff I'm now selling things too :) I have an almost brand new function generator on there right now. I've really been pleasantly surprised at the eBay community as I was really weary of buying stuff at first becasue of bad reports I'd heard, but I've never had any problems at all and every purchase I've made has been flawless, with most sellers packing things up better than some big online e'tailors, some even including a little message hoping that everything is OK... And you don't tend to get that very much in this day and age :(

Anyway yes.. Ebay and Farnell for me. Sometimes Mouser but they tend to be a bit more expensive in the UK... And I hate routing through their stock lists only to find there's no price displayed :mad:

Here's a few more surplus electronics, etc places to check out; two that I have ordered from and been satisfied:

All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices - Awesome place, been around a long time
Alltronics - Lots of stuff

Others that I know of, but have yet to try:

Herbach & Rademan, electric motor, power supplies, timing motor, solar panels, fans, transformers, H - excellent source for motors; they've been around a long time
MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc. - I have heard good things about these guys
MIDWEST SURPLUS ELECTRONICS, INC. - I have yet to buy anything from these guys...

So - between Kansas City and St. Louis, huh? Camden? Or someplace else in/near the Lake of the Ozarks? Pretty country, but not much out there except farmland, trees, small towns, rednecks, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back