Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting 3v from 5v source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fever

hello,
iam powering a digital speedometer using 7805 for 5v output.now from this output i want another supply of 3v for other ckt.i know i can use lm317,but i don't want to use another chip in that place.
so is it possible with zener diodes to get 3v output?
like this http://members.shaw.ca/roma/29-4.gif

No man it is not possible to get 3v from zener u better use another chip or simply use a solar cell

fever said:
hello,
iam powering a digital speedometer using 7805 for 5v output.now from this output i want another supply of 3v for other ckt.i know i can use lm317,but i don't want to use another chip in that place.
so is it possible with zener diodes to get 3v output?
like this http://members.shaw.ca/roma/29-4.gif
A low voltage zener diode is a lousy voltage regulator. The voltage changes when the input voltage changes, when the load current changes and when the temperature changes. The transistor's output voltage also changes when the other things change.

sure, a 3.3v zener is a very common part, at least online ... you don't have your location filled in, so who knows what for where you're at.

other options include a 78L03 (or is that 78L33), or something newer like an LP39xx or LP29xx from national, or a blue/green/white LED if you don't need much current

If size is an issue you can get LM317s in a TO92 package.

thanks for ur replies guys.
well iam india,and i in my local stores i asked for these 2(78L03,78L33) but these r not available.i dono abt other national chips.(can i order samples).

and the other circuit iam talking abt is a remote contol car's transmitter which uses 2 AA batteries.

putting diodes in series...is it satable? may be it work like zener diode.

and for using potential divider...i exactly dono how much that circuit consumes current.

guys is it safe to feed 5v to a RF transmitter which uses 2 AA cells?
any more ideas to get 3.3v from 5v....

fever said:
guys is it safe to feed 5v to a RF transmitter which uses 2 AA cells?
It might blow up or it might work fine.
You didn't attach the schematic so are we supposed to guess?

thats pretty much the only options; divider, diode(s) or active regulator (transistors).

you could look up the chips that comprise your transmitter, and see if they're rated to handle 5 v... my guess is no, most things that want 3v, will handle 2.8 to 3.7v

Could put 2 rectifier diodes and one Schottky in series with 5v to make 3.3v. Doesn't draw quiescent current. Poor regulation, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back