Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

get power from electric fence to drive 3 LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurf

I just had an idea to put in some LEDs to control traffic on a steep road where I Agist my horse.

My first thought was a car coil with the high tensin commectd to the fence, common ground

Has this idea got merit to go further:confused:

Attachments

• elec fence power.gif
    elec fence power.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 695
How many LEDs do you plan to use? How long will they be on? Not sure what you mean to control traffic?:confused:

A seperate battery would be much easier to use then trying to use 50,000+ volts from an electric fence. The current the fence puts out is going to be very small anyway, else it would kill people and animals that touched it. Its not going to be able to power much of anything. Most fences I have seen are also pulsed, not on steady, but pulsed at a low duty cycle. This will cut the power it outputs even more.

Last edited:
I was planing on using an automotive coil to reduce the voltage and was relying on the pulse to induce the voltage in the sec of the coil.

It is a steep winding one vehicle wide drive with horse floats occasionally using going in and out about 300 mt long but it is away from other power sources

I was going to use PICAXE 08M at one end to control the LEDs

I may go solar and battery,,,,,,,,

Just thinking outside the box

Another problem is that the fence's supply probably has a very high impedance so connecting any significant load to it would drastically reduce its effectiveness.

What about using a solar panel and rechargable battery?

I just had an idea to put in some LEDs to control traffic on a steep road where I Agist my horse.

My first thought was a car coil with the high tensin commectd to the fence, common ground

Has this idea got merit to go further:confused:

is the electric fence AC? If it is 50/60Hz, the automotive flyback will saturate so it wont work.

is the electric fence AC? If it is 50/60Hz, the automotive flyback will saturate so it wont work.

I take it you live in the city?.

Electric fences usually work off 12V lead acid batteries, and provide intermittent HV pulses to the fence - in a very similar way to a car ignition coil.

on the fringe of the city

the fence is powered through 240v to ht pulsed output. the idea is the reverse of the normal operation of the car coil.

A rapidly changing magnetic field induces a voltage into coil and this is stored on a cap then passe onto the capacitor. I will try in the next week as a matter of interest

We do understand what you are trying to accomplish, but the problem is the electric fence is usually always very low current. There has to be enough current in the coil to produce a good magnetic field before it will produce any kind of usable power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back