Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Genius needed please :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok does anyone know what type of heating element is in these usb cup warmers?

if you own one would you mind taking it apart and having a look for me to see if its possible?

if its just a simple wire heating element is there a way i can cover it in something to make it a bit mroe safe? some sort of adhesive?

any ideas guys?

thanks for any help :D

on another tangent ... could i implant an old CPU under the insole and run 5volts through that?

i know im retarded but pls help lol

any more ideas on how to use 5 volts dc to safely create a little bit of heat guys?

whatabout a resistor?

what size or spec resistor would be best to put into a basic 5 volt circuit to safely produce some heat?

i know nothing, so please help :D

Just about any form of heating element is a resistor. For real simplicity a resistor opposes current flow so when we pass current through a resistance we can get a bi product of heat. How much heat is a function of the resistance and current, how much current is a function of the battery voltage and its ability to deliver current. The lower the resistance the higher the current for a given voltage. The higher the current the more heat and the quicker the battery dies. A single small resistor is not practical as you get one tiny hot spot smaller than a toenail. :)

There is no easy way for anyone to say run out and buy a 10 Ohm 2 watt resistor and power it with.... Things just don't work that way. The problem with creating heat from electricity is that it is not very efficient leading to a need for a large battery.

Ron

Just about any form of heating element is a resistor. For real simplicity a resistor opposes current flow so when we pass current through a resistance we can get a bi product of heat. How much heat is a function of the resistance and current, how much current is a function of the battery voltage and its ability to deliver current. The lower the resistance the higher the current for a given voltage. The higher the current the more heat and the quicker the battery dies. A single small resistor is not practical as you get one tiny hot spot smaller than a toenail. :)

There is no easy way for anyone to say run out and buy a 10 Ohm 2 watt resistor and power it with.... Things just don't work that way. The problem with creating heat from electricity is that it is not very efficient leading to a need for a large battery.

Ron

thanks for that explanation ron, i've been off doing my homework on resistors transducers etc and am well and truly confused dot com lol

funny enough, a small hotspot about the size of a toenail is what im after! i just want it to heat up the surrounding air a bit, the foot warmers are no good to me as they cannot be turned on and off and i only require a small amount of heat for short bursts

given that, what resistor/resistors in series or parralel would YOU put into a circuit with 4 x AA rechargeables @ 1.2v = 4.8v to produce a bit of heat given your experience in these things mate?

i just simply dont have a flippin clue lol

thanks again Ron :)

ok so the thing i need is a flexible etched foil heating pad

i guess the genius i was looking for was here all the time! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back