Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generic Ethernet/Wifi Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ok i want to play with internet stuff but more like WIFI and ETHERNET for MCUs can someone recommend whether i should start with WIFI or ETHERNET and most likely i will be using a ARM so almost any IC is ok to specify

The only way I know to do Wifi is to use the full modules, which are expensive and the interfaces are proprietary, so you're not going to learn very much. I haven't done anything with ethernet in a long time, so I haven't done anything with any of the new chips with onboard ethernet. I would use a lpc17xx, since I have experience with them, but ST and TI both have Cortex-M3's with onboard ethernet. You just need to add a PHY and connector with magnetics.

Hey Mark thanks for the input. It doesnt have to be a mcu with it built in. It can be a standalone ic . Just something popular enough to have good support

Last edited:
yes but the goal is to create something i can share easily meaning other people wont have to learn a whole new system or MCU. If i learn this i plan to make a simpler interface or share code that can be ported to other MCUs. It would be hard if the Ethernet is built in because the same registers cant be accessed on other MCUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back