Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

generation of electricity through compressed air

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot

Hey guys i have came up with n idea of electricity generation through compressed air.

Principle-with help of some pressure pads the air produced at d output will be stored in a cylinder which will be compressed with d help of a piston,pushing it backwards.the piston will be released as soon as d air reaches to d desired pressure level set by us .As a result of which d air will flow out frm d outlet of cylinder at very high pressure...this output is then given to a turbine/dynamo which will convert it into electricity..

Q-will it be pssbl to genrt good amt of electricity??????:confused:

Please don't use 'txt speak', type your words properly.

You can, of course, use compressed air to feed a generator - air tools used in garages use air to give rotary motion, it's a common practice.

But where's the compressed air coming from?, you're simply taking energy and storing it in the form of compressed air - why not just use the energy to directly turn the generator?.

Last edited:
You can. THe problem is you need to find a natural source of compressed air. Because if you make your own compressed air that takes energy (and because nothing is 100% efficient it takes more energy to make the compessed air that you can store in it). ANd then you run it through your generator which again is not 100% efficient so you lose more energy.

You might as well just take the energy source that was used to produce the compressed air and use it directly. More efficient, cheaper, and easier.

It would be similar to plugging in a light bulb into the wall and using the light bulb to power a solar panel to run something else. You might as well use the power from the wall directly.

Last edited:
It's actually impossible to convert all the energy in compressed air to power because the exhaust always has some energy left in it. The higher the pressure the compressed air is the more efficient it will be.

The main problem with compressed air energy storage is Charles's law, the temperature increases when you compress the gas.

And you lose that energy.

The air will be pumped (in) through some pressure pads,this will be placed on the floors of buildings,malls etc...where the pressure on the pads will be exerted by people....

The air will be pumped (in) through some pressure pads,this will be placed on the floors of buildings,malls etc...where the pressure on the pads will be exerted by people....
i am reminded of a film. where the people who were rowing a boat will be whipped for their slackness
here also perhaps the pressure built up depends on the effectiveness of people pressing the pads. and you want to get back to medieval times and use whip on these pad operators??

please study the fundamentals of energy theory and the energy transfer mechanisms and their relative efficiencies.

will it be possible to generate good amount of air pressure using the air produced by human pressure????????????????:confused::confused:

Ugh, what you are proposing would be like making people walk across a sand dune. Gets very fatiguing.

it's nt like tht,we can implement it in speed breaker also......
we are just using the pressure created by humans on the pressure pads as input...or else automobiles in case of speed breaker.

Can any one help us in having the calculations done....??????(how much pressure rqrd,max pressure to be created in cylinder to produce compressed air..etc.:))

It's a silly idea, use an alternator connected to a bicycle to generate electricity.

It would be one way to affect the population explosion as everyone started dying from cardiac arrest... Anyone seen Soylent Green, the bike powered generator?

And do you imagine you can create large quantities of high pressure air using a method like that?.

i dont have proper idea about what will happen in reality
and what u can judge from the conditions in my idea?
ok according to u what is the alternative method to create high pressure?

It's a silly idea, use an alternator connected to a bicycle to generate electricity.

hello friend

a bicycle alternator, can generate only 12 v. with the help of which we can just light 5-10 leds or power a small circuit

but it wont be an energy generating method?

hello friend

a bicycle alternator, can generate only 12 v. with the help of which we can just light 5-10 leds or power a small circuit

The voltage depends entirely on the alternator you use, 230V mains is commonly used, and a single cycle can generate roughly 100W - for how long depends how fit the rider is.

But a cycle is a fairly efficient use of a bodies mechanical energy, your idea of collecting energy walking across a floor would collect next to nothing.

As I see it the idea is a complete non-starter?.

The main problem with compressed air energy storage is Charles's law, the temperature increases when you compress the gas.

And you lose that energy.

ok friend

consider ideal gas law PV=nRT

assume that terms (n,R,T) are constant(by some means)

so only pressure and volume are variable

the system which we are thinking is variable volume system by means of a piston and at any time pressure * volume is constant(assumed)

by means of pressure pad or vehicle foot pump we compress air into the cylinder and try to get good amount of pressure to drive generator

so looking at my assumptions will it be possible practically?

friends
while gathering some info from my friends some suggested me to use flywheel technique presently used in clutches of bikes

i have no idea how will it be useful???

can anyone help ???

hello friend

well if you whip the cyclist and he's fit maybe 500 watts ?

Intereting idea.
but here is a real life or more twards real life power example. one horsepower = 746 watts. Horsepower in its simpler definition is thats the contionuous power a good sized healthy horse can produce. Scale that to good healthy human and you get 1/10 that or about 75 watts continouous. Remember thats continuous rate not peak rate! For a short burst a big healthy athlete can top 1500 watts on one of those generator bikes. I have seen a college football player do it! but for only a few seconds. I could do around 1200 watts at the time but again short burst. One person did 200 watts for about five minutes, A cyclist and great cardio health too.

A person walking without effort is real low, under 10 watts. The only time most people even get close to the 75 watt output is taking the stairs. And how many do that by choice!
Convert Calories to watts. 1 calorie is 1.16 watt hours. So a 2000 calorie a day diet means the average person runs on 2320 watt hours of power. Factor in the estimated calorie drain of just being alive is around half of that or more. You have less than 1 kw of mechanical energy to put to work per day.
So how many people does it take to equal what your average house uses? mine is around 1200 kwh a month. 1200/30/24 = 1.6666 kw continuous load. hmm, I would need about 23 very healthy slaves to keep my house going. give them 8 hour shifts and I would need 69 plus support to feed and keep up everything, now I am up around 80 plus!
Convert that to lazy free will people and its probibly ten times that! hmm... hmm... hmm!!! 800 people to run my house! But now who is running their houses while they run mine?

But seriously people power is just not cost effective. There is a reason slaves got replaced by machines as the world industrialized.

Sorry if I just rained all over someones idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back