Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generate Pseudorandom Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh0therside

I'm looking to generate a pseurandom voltage in the range of ~0 to ~2V as cheaply as possible. I read about one option that used a resistor network with a shift register to do this but I was wondering if anyone had any simpler suggestions.

Thank you

The simplest method would be to use a micro controller, then you can do the random number generator in software (very easy) and the output could be a simple 1bit DAQ (PWM and vary the duty cycle)

Thank you for your suggestion. Can you think of any way to do it with discrete components and op-amps? Due to the nature of what this will be used for, microcontrollers are not really a viable option. I tried to do something using the voltage noise generated by an LED with an op-amp but it didn't work too well.

Using discreet components you could use a chip like the 74HC161 configured as a ramp synthesizer which when clocked would produce 16 outputs. If you fast clock and stop the output will be a random voltage between 0 and whatever you set the resistors for. It would use 8 resistors. You would randomly get one of 16 possibilities between 0 and 2 volts. I am just not sure exactly what you want? There are a number of ways to do it using discreet components without a high parts count.

Ron

Sorry for being so vague. The output of the random voltage generator will drive the input of a driver IC. Depending upon where I insert the random voltage, it could be in the range of 0-100mv or preferably .6-1.1V. There isn't any timing circuitry in the device so interrupting an IC like that isn't ideal. I don't need too many discrete values for the random voltage and 16 would be more than adequate. Do you know of anywhere I could find these numerous discrete options?

Thank you.

The best I can suggest using discreet components would be along the lines of the attached image. V2 simulates a clock pulse. The likely ideal way would be using a uC as was suggested. Each time the chip is clocked a different voltage appears at Vout.

Ron

Attachments

• Psudo Count.png
    Psudo Count.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 341
You could use a counter clocked by a fast clock, plus a latch to latch the count when enabled by a slower clock asynchronous with the first. Use weighting resistors to convert the latched count to an analogue voltage.

Last edited:
Do you want a random digital output (ie only 1 and 0) or a random analogue output (ie any voltage between 0 and 2V, varying randomly)?

A Zener diode is a good random noise generator. Nothing Pseudo about it. It will be completely random. YOu can amplify that with an LM324 to get the right voltage level. Just hook a reistor between Vcc and the Zener and put Zener to ground and read off the voltage at the junction

Due to the nature of what this will be used for, microcontrollers are not really a viable option.
Could you explain the logic behind that? Knowing what you're trying to do is often a lot more helpful then spending hours trying to guess what it is you're trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back