Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

general purpose serializer/deserializer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvnktion

I have a project where I am using a and I2C bus and 8 address lines. The address lines will run at a maximum of 1khz and the I2C bus will run at a maximum of 400 khz.

I want to serialize all of these lines and would like to first, know if I can serialize all of these data lines? Are there some good general purpose serializer that anyone could recommend that use minimum data lines?

Thanks for the info.

You need to be much more specific about what you're trying to do, and why - I've never heard of a 'serializer' - was it something you made up?.

Presumably you're looking for parallel to serial conversion, but it's entirely dependent on what you're doing - and why not just use a pin from your processor to output it?.

I have seen many versions of serializers for video and communication protocols that require many parallel signals. The serializer takes the parallel data and repackages into a serial format and transmits for unpackaging by a deserializer.

Most that i have seen are very high speed and probably overkill for my application. I am communicating with remote sensors via I2C from a micro through a cable. The cable needs to have minimal conductors for size reasons. The only way that i can get this size is to serialize all of the digital data onto 1 line.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar, specifically sending I2C data.

Perhaps if you could draw us a simple block diagram it would be a little more clear what task and problems you might have to overcome. I2C is not designed for longer cable runs, mostly chip to chip on the same board.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back