Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

General purpose project pcb sources sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftyretro

Hi Group;

I have searched the site some and have checked various on-line suppliers but thought I might post for first hand reccomendations.

I'm looking for cost effective PCB project board material. I've used bed of nails type boards with plated through holes in the past but find them pretty expensive. I've read of veroboard, but not aware of prices or USA suppliers.

So what are people using for their one off projects? I don't mind buying bigger stock and cutting to size as needed. Seems to me this would be a nice small cottage product for those that are capable of manufacturing their own PCBs...

Thanks in advance

I will usually etch a board. It's usually quicker and easier then using stip-board or perfboard. Since I draw most schematics on the computer, it's usually just a few clicks to get the PCB pattern, print with the laserjet. I use the toner-transfer method. Can usually start sodering parts in about 40 minutes.

If its just a few parts, I'll still occasionally use stripboard, as it translates easy from the breadboard.

Hi,

I've recently bumped up my production/buying of 'circuit making stuff' to try and reduce the size of my to-do list. I've yet to make my own PCB's, but it seems if you're doing many different projects, that don't require more than 2-layer boards (few projects require more than 2) then I guess either press'n'peel, or the UV method would be good for you.

My main gripe with making PCB's at the moment is the drilling and chemicals. I don't have the space, nor the money for a drill press (although I have a dremel) and no garage to do etching.

If you're after 'prototype boards' like stripboards, veroboard, or tripad, I can't recommend ebay enough. It's all there, and theres one german guy who sells really high quality (FR4, drilled, tinned, VERY precise) protoboard's fairly cheaply. Cost me about 15UKP for 5 boards, 4 eurocard soze and one 220x190mm including shipping. And those are the most expensive ones I could find on there.

Of course, nothing beats a custom made board, fewer jumpers links and you've already laid it out. it really depends on what sort of work you're doing, SMT lends itself very well to DIY boards, fewer holes to drill. For true one-off's, unless its really complicated, and laden with really tiny parts, I go with stripboard, or the 'point-to-point' construction. You can use the dirt cheap SRPB substrate, but plenty of places do FR4 for RF/high frequency circuits. And despite what some say, stripboard can do SMT, just not the square packages.

I could chat for days about techniques, board types, pro's and cons, but I think I'll stop now :D

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back